Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many years old is your oldest iPad "Still Usable"

• Total voters

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
General poll on all Apple iPad device's with an estimate of how long the average iPad will last. Just vote for the number of years that your iPad was still under the condition "Still Usable", meaning it works fine even though minor freezing, lag, etc occurs.

Feel free to comment about the life span of your iPad(s). :apple:

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
General poll on all Apple iPad device's with an estimate of how long the average iPad will last. Just vote for the number of years that your iPad was still under the condition "Still Usable", meaning it works fine even though minor freezing, lag, etc occurs.

Feel free to comment about the life span of your iPad(s). :apple:

Your poll uses the word "was", which implies the past while your post uses the phrase "will last", which implies the future. It may be just me, but the two could cause confusion.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I haven't used the 1st gen much after it was replaced by a 2, 3, 4, and finally an Air, but it's still functional and I'm always amazed at just how fluid the UI was.

(The 2, and 4 were sold for the upgrade, holding their value rather well. The 3 is still in the family.)

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Used my iPad 2 almost for a year and half until it just keep on crashing from the lack of ram.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I haven't used the 1st gen much after it was replaced by a 2, 3, 4, and finally an Air, but it's still functional and I'm always amazed at just how fluid the UI was.

(The 2, and 4 were sold for the upgrade, holding their value rather well. The 3 is still in the family.)

My cousin still uses her iPad 1 and honestly I am really impressed by how long it lasted. It's really not slow, I mean it wouldn't be noticeable to the naked eye. It doesn't really freeze up or drop applications when using the average consumer apps like email or safari. If I was to be stuck with one I really wouldn't mind.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I had an iPad 2 up until the last holiday season. Traded it in to upgrade to an air 2. At the time I traded it in it was working fine on iOS 6.x (don't remember which one).

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
iPad 2 and 3 in our house, both on latest iOS8, both running absolutely fine. Maybe if I tried an air2 I'd notice a difference, but in daily use (email, lots of web browsing, spotify, overdrive books) there's nothing to complain about.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Depends on your definition of usable.

I had an iPad 4 running iOS 8. It was 'usable' and did everything I needed it to do, but it was just slow and refreshed Safari tabs all the time. It was not a great experience and because of that, I just didn't use it much for around the house. It was best used for travel, where I can watch movies or a show. I rather just use my laptop around the house.

So by definition I suppose it was still 'usable', but if I wasn't USING it, is it really?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I have an iPad 2 and my girlfriend has the first one with a Lightning port (don't know which revision that was). Hers is faster than mine but I currently have no need to upgrade. Works like a charm still, all I want from the new models is that 128gb storage.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I have an Apple refurbed iPad 2 and iPad 3 (iOS 5.1.1) bought when released and both still work great. My Air works equally as good, so an iPad could work in whatever form for 5-6 years maybe longer.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I got an iPad 1 off eBay few years ago and wanted to keep it but it lacks rear camera I need. Sold it and got iPad 2 off eBay...It was so perfect for me until I was upgrading my iPhone 4S at AT&T but she offered me a trade in for iPad Air so I took a bite and got it. :apple:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Is there public data on the percentage of iPads in use that are 2s? I bet that the excellence of the iPad 2 is part of Apple's iPad sales problem.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Is there public data on the percentage of iPads in use that are 2s? I bet that the excellence of the iPad 2 is part of Apple's iPad sales problem.

It has to be a good percentage but the sales decline goes much deeper than the iPad 2. I'm personally burned out on tablets and i've must have purchased 10-12 tablets in 3 years. The entire platform whether Android or iOS has not moved forward enough in the last 5 years. Add an absolutely crappy economy and you get an idea why mobile electronics are not selling as they used to.

If it weren't for subsidized phones those sales figures would be WAY down as well.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

The iPad 2 makes up around 23-27 percent of the market share- that is from two analytics firms and downloads statistics from an iOS developer. The iPad 3 makes up around 13 percent and the Mini 1 makes up around 22 percent. That means the majority of people are still on A5 iPads.

My iPad 2 is still my main iPad - its still amazing and I hope to use it for another year :p.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
I still have an ipad 1 from july 2010 that I still use for netflix and light web browsing.

becneel

macrumors member
May 9, 2015
iPad 4 dead just after warranty expired.

Thanks to iOS 8 updates I think my iPad Air will kick the bucket soon.

The quality of Apple products post Steve Jobs is ..... Not so good.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
My kids are very happy with their iPad Mini's after a couple of years - both show no signs of needing a replacement yet - just need to delete thousands of selfies off my daughters though!

To add my Mini Retina is fine as well, so long as it keeps up with OS updates I see no need to replace it.

Mack812

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2013
Honolulu, HI
I bought my iPad 3 three years ago, and it still going strong with all the updates. A iPad is like a car, if you take good care of it, it will last you a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.