Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I buy Applecare for all my devices. As careful as one can be, accidents still happen. Have only ever had to use it once. Not having to worry about my devices is worth it to me. Everyone is different though. Some think it is a waste of money. If you can afford it, I say go for it.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I am one that doesn't believe in Applecare +. For about 6 years of purchasing many IOS devices, I always use an American Express credit card that provides 90 days of accident and theft coverage and doubles the standard Apple warranty to two years. I feel that I am way ahead by over one thousand dollars by not purchasing Applecare + for each device.

Although this self insurance works well for me, I know others would prefer to have the coverage that Applecare + provides.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I'd skip the Apple Care unless the iPad is used in somewhat hazardous environment.

This. I buy Applecare for my phone because it's always with me and I keep it for at least two years (upgrading on contract). My iPad mostly stays at home so I see no reason to buy it for them. I upgrade often as well so I don't see the need for it if I'm likely only keeping it until the next iPad (Mini) is released.

becneel

macrumors member
May 9, 2015
No.

AppleCare needs to be more comprehensible and longer for me to consider it.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
How is that? Do your country's laws provide that Apple fixes stuff?

Under Australian Consumer Law and our statutory rights, replacements/returns are not limited to a set time period. Instead, they apply for the amount of time that is reasonable to expect, given the cost and quality of the item.

The 1 year manufacturer warranty is an ADDITION to our rights as a consumer.

A personal example of mine is my iPhone 5. Purchased in 2012 at launch with no apple care. In mid 2014, the camera stopped working for no reason. I called up apple. The lady said I'd have to pay $xxx to get it fixed. I said no, that violates my consumer rights and basically quoted the paragraph above. Low and behold, a new (refurbished), iPhone 5 arrived at my door in less than a week for the grand total of $20 (I had to pay for shipping).

In summary, phones are generally sold on a 2 year contract, thus it is reasonable to expect a phone to last 2 years (particularly an $800 iphone).

Take a look at this

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/08/h...efective-out-of-warranty-iphone-in-australia/

It applies to anything really, as it is consumer law; fridges, TV, cars, whatever.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Under Australian Consumer Law and our statutory rights, replacements/returns are not limited to a set time period. Instead, they apply for the amount of time that is reasonable to expect, given the cost and quality of the item.

The 1 year manufacturer warranty is an ADDITION to our rights as a consumer.

A personal example of mine is my iPhone 5. Purchased in 2012 at launch with no apple care. In mid 2014, the camera stopped working for no reason. I called up apple. The lady said I'd have to pay $xxx to get it fixed. I said no, that violates my consumer rights and basically quoted the paragraph above. Low and behold, a new (refurbished), iPhone 5 arrived at my door in less than a week for the grand total of $20 (I had to pay for shipping).

In summary, phones are generally sold on a 2 year contract, thus it is reasonable to expect a phone to last 2 years (particularly an $800 iphone).

Take a look at this

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/08/h...efective-out-of-warranty-iphone-in-australia/

It applies to anything really, as it is consumer law; fridges, TV, cars, whatever.

SWEET. Although there may be a few states that push that envelope here in the US, Texas isn't one of them. So it's Apple Care for me. Texas is a great place to live though, we just don't have tough consumer laws in that area:rolleyes:.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
SWEET. Although there may be a few states that push that envelope here in the US, Texas isn't one of them. So it's Apple Care for me. Texas is a great place to live though, we just don't have tough consumer laws in that area:rolleyes:.

Yep it's pretty good. Although needless to say, Apple (or any other compay) do not make you aware of your rights and with smaller companies it can be next to impossible to inforce without a court of law or the backing of consumer right groups, as the company (low level empoyeees) themselves are ignorant of the law and believe it is a stock standard 1 year warranty.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
TL;DR: I don't really see the point of AppleCare+ unless you think you'll break the screen or do some other major accidental damage to it.

I've broken my fair share of iPhone screens...probably enough to be break even or perhaps ahead if I had bought AppleCare+. But I haven't.

I bent an iPad Air case a bit...but I just use it that way, no big deal.

We've never broken an iPad screen (had four, now have three in the household).

Our iPad 3, however, has suffered over time from battery losing its charge, speaker died, and screen brightness on one side is very dim. It's 3 years old and we still use it despite having an iPad Air and an iPad Mini 2.

The speaker going out was the kicker. Went to the Apple store today and got a replacement unit for $99 (charged me against battery replacement).

Granted, the iPad Air 2 is a lot thinner and may be more prone to damage, but FWIW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.