Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BonitianHeathen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015
I let my brother use my mac and he went on my Mac and downloaded an app called "utorrent". I uninstalled it. My Mac was acting slow. I used Adwaremedic and it detected something called "migos" or something. Supposedly it got rid of it. I used Bitdefender and it detected the same thing. I just used ClamXAV and it detected nothing.

I'm super paranoid. What do I do? I wanna be 100% sure I have nothing now. If not I'll return the Mac while I still have the 1 year warranty.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
I let my brother use my mac and he went on my Mac and downloaded an app called "utorrent". I uninstalled it. My Mac was acting slow. I used Adwaremedic and it detected something called "migos" or something. Supposedly it got rid of it. I used Bitdefender and it detected the same thing. I just used ClamXAV and it detected nothing.

I'm super paranoid. What do I do? I wanna be 100% sure I have nothing now. If not I'll return the Mac while I still have the 1 year warranty.

You can only return your Mac within the 14-day return policy, regardless of the 1-year warranty or AppleCare. Perhaps you meant take it in for repair, but I honestly think that this is an issue that shouldn't require a trip to an Apple Store. uTorrent itself is a safe torrenting/file transfer program, although the contents of torrent files that you are downloading can be malicious. If ClamX is showing no issues, you are probably fine.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

UTorrent comes bundled with the adware Spigot now. Is that what Adwaremedic found? If that is what it was, and Adwaremedic removed it, you should be fine.

If you want to double check, you can follow the manual removal instructions for Spigot here.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia

Since the others have addressed how to fix your problem, I will suggest how to prevent it in the future if you continue to let your brother use your Mac. Create an account for him and make it non-admin. Make sure your account is password protected so he can't use it.

BonitianHeathen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015
UTorrent comes bundled with the adware Spigot now. Is that what Adwaremedic found? If that is what it was, and Adwaremedic removed it, you should be fine.

If you want to double check, you can follow the manual removal instructions for Spigot here.

Spigot was what is was

----------

What I don't want is my Mac blue screening on me or crashing or slowing down

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Spigot was what is was

----------

What I don't want is my Mac blue screening on me or crashing or slowing down

If it was Spigot and Adwearemedic found it and removed it, you are good to go and will not have any others issues from this.

Spigot si not really an evil virus or anything. It is just software that UTorrent uses to display ads. Now that you have removed it, you are fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.