Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

olloclipactivelens-250x357.jpg
Popular iPhone camera accessory maker Olloclip today announced the launch of the new Active Lens for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, which combines a 2x telephoto lens with a new ultra wide-angle lens. The lens joins Olloclip's other available lenses for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, giving photographers lens additions that are good for capturing landscapes, group selfies, and zoomed in shots.

Like the rest of the lens lineup for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, the Active Lens is compatible with both the front and rear-facing cameras. It includes a 2x telephoto lens on one side, which can be used to get closer to subjects, and a wide-angle lens on the other side, able to capture more of an area in a single shot. The wide-angle lens in particular will work well with the front facing camera, as it can capture a wider field of view for group selfies.
Capture it all. A brand new Ultra-Wide Lens gives the iPhone a wider "action camera" field of view for everything from panoramic landscapes to a group selfie on the front FaceTime camera.

Get in close. Switch quickly and easily to the Telephoto Lens with a 2x optical zoom and get twice as close to the action or achieve stunning portraits with a shallower depth of field.
Olloclip's new Active Lens, along with the rest of its lenses, is compatible with the company's recently announced Ollocase for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, which will be shipping out to customers in the near future.

The Active Lens can be pre-ordered from the Olloclip website for $99.

Article Link: Olloclip Debuts New Telephoto + Wide-Angle 'Active Lens' for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL
I guess these things work as they keep making new iterations of the product and consumers keep buying them lol.

Never saw the appeal though with the introduction of micro fifth cameras though.

To each their own I suppose. If you use them glad you got a new model ;)

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
I have their other set for the iphone 6 plus.. I am waiting for their case, since its super annoying to actually use this and have to take off your case each time.

My biggest problem is the massive distortion you get with the wide angle for example. Maybe for this budget I can only expect this. But when I think wide angle, I don't expect things to be bent totally on the edges of the frame.

BillParkinson

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
I like the olloclip for the iphone 5, trouble is it will become obsolete if I upgrade to 6 / 6s. (Especially cheap solution for fish eye)

Don't feel like I get enough use out of it to justify buying a new one every 2-3 years as the phones change.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Ive been keeping my eye on all the various lenses for the iPhone 6. I have not seen a wide angle so far that I would buy, mostly because of the insane distortion that happens with them. Im eager to see how this one is.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I guess these things work as they keep making new iterations of the product and consumers keep buying them lol.

Never saw the appeal though with the introduction of micro fifth cameras though.

To each their own I suppose. If you use them glad you got a new model ;)

I had one for my iPhone 4, and enjoyed the ability to take wide-angle shots. As much as I really liked the product, I couldn't justify buying a new one when I upgraded my phone to the 5s.

Now, if the Olloclip folks were to offer an exchange program where owners of previous versions could turn them in for a discount (I think 30 percent off would be great) toward the latest model, I'd go for it.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Ive been keeping my eye on all the various lenses for the iPhone 6. I have not seen a wide angle so far that I would buy, mostly because of the insane distortion that happens with them. Im eager to see how this one is.
Schneider optics is the best in the business
https://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=2202&IID=10340

Moondog lab lenses have zero distortion
http://www.moondoglabs.com/store/#!/BACKORDERED-1-33X-Anamorphic-Adapter-for-iPhone-6/p/48398187/category=8525657

Last edited:

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
I own both the olloclip telephoto and the wide-angle/fisheye/macro lenses. I use them regularly – even carry the latter in my pocket at all times. And I have the case on order.

But it's frustrating the company's "specifications" for this new lens combo provide no information on how the "active view" wide-angle's field of view compares to the existing wide-angle and fisheye lenses.

That would seem to be fundamentally necessary information if I'm being asked to buy something new.

To "omni2010": these lenses fit in your pocket yet enhance the functionality of your already great phone camera. An SLR can do more. But you may tire of carrying it everywhere and god forbid you try to bend over with it in your pocket. :)

Last edited:

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I don't get the point of these lenses.... Why not just buy a proper dslr???
B roll! Not having to lug around three cameras is a joy. Plus the iPhone shoots a 3.5k 3264x1836 video not many DSLR's size have that resolution on the market.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
In terms of the actual product - well made, works as advertised and photos come out well.

But the application, as others have mentioned, is problematic given that most of us use 3rd party cases to protect these expensive devices.

I don't blame Olloclip or any other 3rd party camera maker - I'm not sure how it can be fixed or adapted to adjust for cases.

Carrying around the clip for my 4s was easy enough - when I remembered.

Plus, for me personally, when I was in a spot or mood to take a wide angle, I usually had my Pentax DSLR with me with the right lens to take those shots.

If Olloclip could somehow adjust for cases, I might consider it or if I was rich enough to not worry about wrecking/breaking my iPhone 6 so I could use it without a case, I might buy one.

Cheers,
Keebler

cspak71

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
HB, CA
In terms of the actual product - well made, works as advertised and photos come out well.

But the application, as others have mentioned, is problematic given that most of us use 3rd party cases to protect these expensive devices.

I don't blame Olloclip or any other 3rd party camera maker - I'm not sure how it can be fixed or adapted to adjust for cases.

Carrying around the clip for my 4s was easy enough - when I remembered.

Plus, for me personally, when I was in a spot or mood to take a wide angle, I usually had my Pentax DSLR with me with the right lens to take those shots.

If Olloclip could somehow adjust for cases, I might consider it or if I was rich enough to not worry about wrecking/breaking my iPhone 6 so I could use it without a case, I might buy one.

Cheers,
Keebler

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that we do make a case for the iPhone 6 which should be shipping shortly. It's not as readily known and we need to do a better job about that, but there will be a case option for those of you guys who are looking to use a case along with your olloclip.

Disclaimer: I do work for olloclip.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Olloclip Debuts New Telephoto + Wide-Angle 'Active Lens' for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

Thanks! I didn't know about that. Might be an option for sure. I truly believe the case issue I mentioned is a big factor before people buy.

Again, I thought the build quality is excellent. I'll look at your case for sure.

cspak71

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
HB, CA
I own both the olloclip telephoto and the wide-angle/fisheye/macro lenses. I use them regularly – even carry the latter in my pocket at all times. And I have the case on order.

But it's frustrating the company's "specifications" for this new lens combo provide no information on how the "active view" wide-angle's field of view compares to the existing wide-angle and fisheye lenses.

That would seem to be fundamentally necessary information if I'm being asked to buy something new.

To "omni2010": these lenses fit in your pocket yet enhance the functionality of your already great phone camera. An SLR can do more. But you may tire of carrying it everywhere and god forbid you try to bend over with it in your pocket. :)

Our ultra-wide angle lens in photo mode is approximately 155 Degrees FOV. Our Wide-angle lens is approximately 110 Degrees.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
3rd party cases don't offer enough room for the lens to clip onto properly, so you are forced to buy their case or use it naked.

I have no problem buying their case for each iPhone. I do not like having to buy a new lens as well.

They can charge me $10 more for a universal lens that works with all future iphone cases.

Their business in selling iphone cases probably has a larger markup too.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Cspak71: Thanks for info. How many degrees do your fisheye lenses capture?

Anyone know what a standard iphone6+ captures, or focal length equivalents for any of these?

Fisheye lens is about 180 degrees, so the ultra wide-angle is between the fisheye and the existing wide-angle. The iPhone 6's field of view is about 64 degrees and its focal length equivalent to something like 29mm (actual size 4.15mm), so it's a bit wider than your average 35mm lens.

Wired actually just did a pretty awesome post on the iPhone 6 field of view:
http://www.wired.com/2015/05/measuring-field-view-iphone-6-camera/

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I purchased their last set of lenses (fisheye/wide/macros) for $65 online, and I use them all the time. They are great! Compact lenses for little expense, and you can take in a whole room with your camera, or photograph small details.

Any negativity is perhaps directed from photo pros or odd snobs. If you are paying $99 for a set of lenses for an iPhone and are a pro expecting pro-level equipment, you probably lack perception.

Those lenses are a bargain. You don't need a bulky camera or bag of expensive lenses, if you are a casual photographer. I hope they make a 4x soon sometime.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
I don't get the point of these lenses.... Why not just buy a proper dslr???

how did you formulate this question and then decide to actually ask it?

i mean, if this was about 1 or 2 lb point-n-shoots that claimed to be 'just as good as a dslr', i could understand. but this is a clip-on lens for a smart phone, which almost everyone has now. for about $60-$70 i believe. do you still wonder why? does anyone, truthfully?

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
how did you formulate this question and then decide to actually ask it?

i mean, if this was about 1 or 2 lb point-n-shoots that claimed to be 'just as good as a dslr', i could understand. but this is a clip-on lens for a smart phone, which almost everyone has now. for about $60-$70 i believe. do you still wonder why? does anyone, truthfully?

Why do people on this and similar sites always say "almost everyone ______" ???

that is really not true. It may be amongst a certain group. But that doesn't mean most of the earth's population does or owns something popular amongst techies such as us. I got into the similar argument with someone regarding sleeve tattoos and the apple watch. Yes tattoos are popular. No, not almost everyone has them.

Same here these clip on lenses are popular. No, not "almost everyone" has them.

And my question was why use these instead of a proper camera? To me it seems you are trying to get into serious picture taking with a gimmick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.