Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

araine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2015
From Past Experience: and 3 days loss of data trying to restore:

If your new mac pro has come factory fitted with Yosemite, Do NOT try and downgrade to Mavericks.

You will read a lot on the net about some chancer who 'successfully' managed to downgrade their nMP from Yosemite to Mavericks - by booting up from a second disk/thunderbolt tether, and formatting the internal SSD then insttalling Mavericks from USB stick.

Don't ********ing try it ! As i found out (the hard way) there are certain internal hardware drivers and firmware motherboard support specifically designed onlyto be read by Yosemite. You go messing around back-grading to Mavericks, and it may work initially, but you will see regular failures, errors and system crashes - particularly trying to load some legacy software.

I even put a brand new OWC Aura 2TB internal SSD into my mac, freshly formatted, and tried to install Mavericks from a USB bootable flash drive. At first it worked, Mavericks was up and running. Then crashed when trying to render After Effects (gave some D500 graphics error), then it wouldn't boot, then tried to re-install Mavericks, it hung...and it hung for about 3 days - stuck in limbo. I thoguht for a moment i REALLY was left with a £4,000 Trashcan !

Eventually i managed to take the SSD out, freshly format it as factory new, and install a fresh clean version of Yosemite in it. All is fine now.

Your New Mac Pro is a clean, modern and bang-up to date to workstation, with precicely engineered high performance hardware that integrates perfectly with Yosemite. Don't go ****ing with this !

If it ain't broke, don't try and [break] it. Don't go ****ing with the programme !

Last edited:

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
huh? got my MacPro6,1 two weeks ago. it had Yosemite 10.10.1 installed from the factory. pulled the 256 GB SSD and replaced it with the 1.0 TB I already had from my cMP. running Yosemite is still not an option for me. installed Mavericks and it runs just fine on my nMP...

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I can see why there are Snow Leopard holdouts (Rosetta), in fact I was one of them. But I don't know why people would want to go back to Mavericks--is there software that doesn't work in Yosemite? Lack of drivers for something?

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
I don't like Yosemite for various reasons. some are technical, some are a matter of personal taste. I specifically bought a MacPro6,1 right now because I was afraid that the successor might be released at WWDC and the new one of course won't run Mavericks anymore...

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I can see why there are Snow Leopard holdouts (Rosetta), in fact I was one of them. But I don't know why people would want to go back to Mavericks--is there software that doesn't work in Yosemite? Lack of drivers for something?

Pro Tools 10 does not function on Yosemite, and Avid has no intentions of updating it to be compatible.

----------

Pretty sure this info is false. Lots of people downgrade back to Mavericks, and even run separate partitions for Mavericks/Yosemite with no issues.

araine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2015

ActionableMango.

I assume you do not do any kind of creative professional high level work.

Do you work with clients producing After Effects templates? do your clients still have the old After Effects 5 ? So if you want to produce templates for them to work in AE5, you cannot use it in Yosemite, (latest AE CC).

Also, do you use Logic Pro? If so nd you have specific plugins, some may not work in Latest Yosemite (Sylenth for example).

Some Media professionals need the highest performance Mac, fastest processing time, so they can produce their work quickly and effieciently. The downside is, their end clients don't have the high-level systems and tend to use backwards systems like OS 10.6.8, or even Jaguar! So we need to be able to produce work that can run in their 2006 iMac consumer machines!

If i wanted my Mac just as a Word Processor and Internet breowsing Machine, i would be fine with Yosemite and wouldn't want to go back. But then again, i wouldn't have spent 4K on just a superfast high-end Word processor/Web browsing machine.

So to answer your question, ''i don't know why people want to go back to Mavericks'' - it's pretty obvious, no?

----------

Pretty sure this info is false. Lots of people downgrade back to Mavericks, and even run separate partitions for Mavericks/Yosemite with no issues.

MMcCrary - did you actually specifically downgrade to Mavericks on a Mac 6,1 ? or are you (yet again) just listening to Rumours (MacRumours).

Like i say in my original message, i'm sure there will be stories of one or two chancers who say 'yup, i'm using Mavericks, it's just fine''. But then they may be just using it for word processing and surfing the net.

I am writing from my practical first-hand experience. intensely testing Mavericks for Audio production/Graphics and 3D rendering with specific multi-thread core software and firmware written for Yosemite.

Unless you can comment from experience, don't give in to rumours.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
So to answer your question, ''i don't know why people want to go back to Mavericks'' - it's pretty obvious, no?

I knew the reasons for people staying with Snow Leopard and I didn't know for people staying with Mavericks, so out of curiosity I asked. I don't understand the need for hostility in your response. By asking the question, I am admitting my ignorance on the subject.

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
MMcCrary - did you actually specifically downgrade to Mavericks on a Mac 6,1 ? or are you (yet again) just listening to Rumours (MacRumours).

Like i say in my original message, i'm sure there will be stories of one or two chancers who say 'yup, i'm using Mavericks, it's just fine''. But then they may be just using it for word processing and surfing the net.

I am writing from my practical first-hand experience. intensely testing Mavericks for Audio production/Graphics and 3D rendering with specific multi-thread core software and firmware written for Yosemite.

Unless you can comment from experience, don't give in to rumours.

And you're using a non-standard configuration of the Mac Pro with that Aura SSD, which means your evidence insofar as troubleshooting goes, means absolutely nothing. No need for the hostility, friend.

araine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2015
And you're using a non-standard configuration of the Mac Pro with that Aura SSD, which means your evidence insofar as troubleshooting goes, means absolutely nothing. No need for the hostility, friend.... means absolutely nothing/QUOTE]

Well, 'my friend' i initially tried to downgade to Mavericks with the ORIGINAL Apple Factory 256B SSD that came with it. So many BIOS errors. Sometimes Mavericks booted fine, sometimes it failed spectaculalry. The same when i put my 3rd party SSD in. Does that mean nothingh? 'my friend'?

Oh, and please MMCaray - answer the question, don't dodge it: ''did you actually specifically downgrade to Mavericks on a Mac 6,1?

Have you had a kernal panic (or not) by downgrading your 6,1 Yosemite to Mavericks,on your original SSD then firing up Logic Pro using 32 Lives Legacy Wrapper? or tried to reset permissions and install AE5.5 on Mavericks (which should work on any other MAC, but not on nMP) ?

Have you?

Because the point of MY post here, is not to get into an argument with people coming from a point of ignorance (like yourself who have not experienced or tested this issue) but to connect with those who have experienced it - downgraded and suffered problems, and to warn new Mac Pro users who are thinking of erasing their pre-installed Yosemite, to downgrade to Mavericks, that this ain't pretty:

panic.jpg

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
So many BIOS errors. Sometimes Mavericks booted fine, sometimes it failed spectaculalry. The same when i put my 3rd party SSD in. Does that mean nothingh? 'my friend'?

Because the point of MY post here, is not to get into an argument with people coming from a point of ignorance (like yourself who have not experienced or tested this issue) but to connect with those who have experienced it - downgraded and suffered problems, and to warn new Mac Pro users who are thinking of erasing their pre-installed Yosemite, to downgrade to Mavericks, that this ain't pretty:

GOOD FOR A LAUGH

1. nMP doesn't have BIOS, hence impossible to have a "BIOS Error"

2. Your screenshot is from a MacBook.

I'm going to go with "operator error" since you have managed to come across as rather irrational and seem to believe that you know more than you do. At least we know where the "ignorance" comes from.

araine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2015
GOOD FOR A LAUGH

1. nMP doesn't have BIOS, hence impossible to have a "BIOS Error"

2. Your screenshot is from a MacBook.

I'm going to go with "operator error" since you have managed to come across as rather irrational and seem to believe that you know more than you do. At least we know where the "ignorance" comes from.

Irrelavant whether a screenshot of a kernal panic is from a macbook or not. It's periphery, and irelavant thread bloating.

The issue is, surrounding downgrading Yosemite to Mavericks on a late 2013 machine - and it goes for nMP or nMBP. Have anything to say about this?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Irrelavant whether a screenshot of a kernal panic is from a macbook or not. It's periphery, and irelavant thread bloating.

The issue is, surrounding downgrading Yosemite to Mavericks on a late 2013 machine - and it goes for nMP or nMBP. Have anything to say about this?

Actually, posting a kernel panic from a MacBook running on a Samsung 830 seems irelavant and bloating, when the thread is about nMP and regressing the OS version. Good that you removed it, but it does make me suspicious about the validity of your posts in this thread.

I'm just an interested reader and would like to know what the cause of your issue is, but posting a screenshot of a KP from the actual nMP while it's happening would be more helpful.

araine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2015
Actually, posting a kernel panic from a MacBook running on a Samsung 830 seems irelavant and bloating, when the thread is about nMP and regressing the OS version. Good that you removed it, but it does make me suspicious about the validity of your posts in this thread.

I'm just an interested reader and would like to know what the cause of your issue is, but posting a screenshot of a KP from the actual nMP while it's happening would be more helpful.

It was just a picture of a kernal panic. That dreaded screen we all face. not my panic as i was too consumed with fixing it to take a picture.

Interesting to hear about your Samsung 830 kernal panic though. Which OS was it?/.

BTW, for the record, Yosemite on my Mac is seriously stable and solid now.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It was just a picture of a kernal panic. That dreaded screen we all face. not my panic as i was too consumed with fixing it to take a picture.

Interesting to hear about your Samsung 830 kernal panic though. Which OS was it?/.

BTW, for the record, Yosemite on my Mac is seriously stable and solid now.

I was referring to the KP in the picture you posted. That machine was booting from a Samsung 830.

As stated, I'm just an interested reader trying to absorb the information. I've never had a KP on any of my machines.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
yes.. wifi issues and ugly lagging GUI :apple:

Wifi issues have been there for longer than I can remember and have nothing to do with Yosemite. I am lucky enough to not experience them on a regular basis, like some report, but they are there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.