Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i got drunk last week at a party and apparently dropped my iPhone 6 a few times and threw it across the street (kinda impressed what it can endure btw) but now i have a few bumps and scratches on the back and frame but the display is in perfect condition. can i use one of my two apple care+ replacements for this or is it considered "cosmetic"?

thx!

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Throwing it across the street is not accidental.

And is therefore not covered by AC+.

Why should the rest of us have to subsidise idiotic behaviour?

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
well it fell out of my hand and flew across the street is more like it. i dont even remember it. i woke up and read those imessages i sent to people about having dropped the iphone twice

sooooo anyway. can i get a replacement "for scratches and bumps" or not?

i mean the touch id has been suffering anyway (doesnt work at all times anymore) i assume cuz my cousins little 2 year old spilled milk over the phone a while ago but i was too lazy to send it in and figured nows the time to finally do it

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Generally, Applecare doesn't cover purely cosmetic damage. If your iPhone is malfunctioning in some way you can take it in and probably get it repaired but not necessarily replaced. It depends on what's wrong.

Also, I really wouldn't tell the genius about your drunken episode--no need for that. Just say you dropped it.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Generally, Applecare doesn't cover purely cosmetic damage. If your iPhone is malfunctioning in some way you can take it in and probably get it repaired but not necessarily replaced. It depends on what's wrong.

Also, I really wouldn't tell the genius about your drunken episode--no need for that. Just say you dropped it.

Sure - just go ahead and commit insurance fraud. Where's the harm, right?

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Sure - just go ahead and commit insurance fraud. Where's the harm, right?

i fail to see the difference in dropping it sober or drunk. i paid apple care+ and would be paying the 75€ for the replacement so technically i would be paying more than for a out of warranty screen display repair!

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
i fail to see the difference in dropping it sober or drunk. i paid apple care+ and would be paying the 75€ for the replacement so technically i would be paying more than for a out of warranty screen display repair!

So people who drink and drive shouldn't be prosecuted, right?

threezero

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
Feel you brother. I had many mishap with all of my iPhones while drunk. Threw it out of a taxi window once thinking it was my empty beer bottle. Flew across the street like yours, pour beer over it, even had it stuck in some inappropriate place. Have only ever cracked one screen out of 5-8 iPhones I have own over time. The last iPhone 5 I spill ash/water mix over it has even fix itself in a day. Truly tough mother****ers but yea don't go abusing AppleCare+ just wear the battler scars proudly until you finally broke it

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Let me be more constructive. ;)

The definition of accidental damage under AppleCare+ is this:

"The damage must affect the functionality of Your Covered Equipment, which includes cracks to the display screen that affect the visibility of the display."
So what you have described is not covered.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I'm sure you can get it replaced under AppleCare+. If the Genius says the screen needs to be cracked then maybe it will accidently slip off of the table and crack the screen. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I doubt you will have any issues. You might want to cut back on the drinking... :)

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I'm sure you can get it replaced under AppleCare+. If the Genius says the screen needs to be cracked then maybe it will accidently slip off of the table and crack the screen. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I doubt you will have any issues. You might want to cut back on the drinking... :)

Yep, and then Apple will just replace the screen and he will still be left with a scuffed up phone.

rdranade

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2014
Dude yes go replace it if you want. That's what you paid for. "AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone (1) and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $79 service fee plus applicable tax."

What you did was accidental. I have no idea why these people are so ******** about it. Hue hur hur insurance fraud....yeah okay.

When I bought AppleCare with my phone I was literally told by Apple employees to come in and replace the phone before the two year warranty runs out (even if there was nothing wrong with it) so I have a new phone with a new battery.

Last edited:

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
I've had iPhones with very minor scuffs on the casing (with no broken glass) that I've taken in and exchanged for new replacements under Applecare+. I've never had any issues or problems doing so. The last time I did this was after I got my iPhone 6 Plus last year; I was going to hand down my 5s to my child and wanted to be able to give her one in brand-new condition.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Some of you guys are either trolling or being ridiculous. He's not faking his death for the insurance money. It's a phone that he already paid $100 the extended warranty and will have to pay $79 more for the deductible.

OP go get a new phone. Just make a Genius appointment before you go of course.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
I just bought apple care for the first time. We will see if it's worth it.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Some of you guys are either trolling or being ridiculous. He's not faking his death for the insurance money. It's a phone that he already paid $100 the extended warranty and will have to pay $79 more for the deductible.

OP go get a new phone. Just make a Genius appointment before you go of course.

I agree, it's really funny and depressing to read that people actually think that way. As if there is some monumental difference between dropping it on purpose or by accident. As if it's remotely comparable to a car accident or drunk driving. What? Apple couldn't care less if you drop it on purpose.

Actually looking back at the thread it's mostly the same person posting over and over about how morally bereft this is

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
... Threw it out of a taxi window once thinking it was my empty beer bottle.

i always wondered who would purposely break their beer bottles on streets, let alone think that a forum's members would think something like "oh, yeah, he thought it was his empty beer bottle, but he accidentally threw away his phone. gee, i can relate to that. sure, that sounds normal."

:rolleyes:

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I've had iPhones with very minor scuffs on the casing (with no broken glass) that I've taken in and exchanged for new replacements under Applecare+. I've never had any issues or problems doing so. The last time I did this was after I got my iPhone 6 Plus last year; I was going to hand down my 5s to my child and wanted to be able to give her one in brand-new condition.

thank you! thats all i wanted to hear

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
i don't understand why people are giving the OP a hard time if he's willing to pay the replacement fee.

NewtonPippin

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2015
All the encouragement to commit insurance fraud is REALLY disappointing on a supposed Apple fansite. :(

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
go to store tell the truth of what happened and ask what they can do. If they dont give u a new one for the 99 or 149 replacement fee. then just try again usually depends on the person there.

if you tell them what happenened and they still replace its not fraud

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.