Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lisa Quach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2015
Milpitas
Hello, I have hp Pavilion g6 2301ax Laptop, it has 4 GB DDR3 RAM, and no unsued slot. I want to increase the RAM upto 8 gb.
Can you help me and suggest some good RAMs?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Thank you, It is really very helpful information for me. In the title of the RAM, they mention "Unbuffered". What is the meaning of it?

There's a short explanation here - http://www.newegg.com/product/CategoryIntelligenceArticle.aspx?articleId=126

Just my own interpretation:
Unbuffered RAM controls the memory chips directly. If you use buffered (registered) memory, then the computer sees only the memory buffers/registers (the registers are an additional chip only on registered RAM sticks), which, in turn, store your data in the actual memory locations.
Most computers use only unbuffered RAM. Registered memory is usually used on server systems, where the extra level of memory protection is quite useful. The "buffer" used by the registered RAM also adds some delay, and increases the latency of your memory, and thus can slow down your computer, at least on operations that access the memory.

Bottom line (for you), either "unbuffered" or "non-ECC" is the memory type that you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.