Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Hello all

ive recently bought an iPhone 5 used from a colleague who advised me it had a new battery under the recall.

Now, the reason I bought it was for a friend. I used it for a whilst until my carrier unlocked it. During this time I set it up as a new phone and it ran fine, was down to 20% or so after an 16 hour day. That's good enough for me!

Once it was unlocked I erased all content and settings before restoring my friends 5c backup to it via iTunes. This went fine but then problems started. The battery just won't hold a charge. Full at 7:30am it's below 20% by 11am.

I did a reset all settings, no difference. I've forced it to reboot, nothing. Battery usage says Facebook is using 45%+ over last 24 hours.

I'm stumped, I guess it's a bad restore. Would you recommend I get a restore from iCloud or set up as a new phone (last resort). She doesn't want to lose her stuff as a new phone setup would do.

Thanks!

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
There must something be wrong with iOS on you device. Try to re-install it and set it up as a new phone, download everything form the App Store or set it back from iTunes but NOT restoring from a copy.

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Battery usage is high right after restore. Give it few days and it should come back to normal.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
If it worked fine for you but badly with her backup on it...

I would do a fresh restore and then go through the settings with a fine toothed comb. Don't forget that her previous settings will have transferred over with the backup. Also delete email accounts and Facebook, then reinstall after a reboot.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks. I'm going to get her to restore iOS in iTunes then restore her stuff from iCloud. She's already done a reset all settings so shouldn't be any settings carried over. Then I'll get her to give it a few days, if it's still bad I'll blame her :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.