Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Narccesp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2015
Ok, so i've been a fan of apple phones for quite a while now... So thought "i'll switch from hp to mac, why not?"... So i bought an 11' macbook air... Can anyone tell me PLEASE why the HELL is it impossible to play ANY youtube video in fullscreen? Like, seriously Apple? It'd be quite ridiculous if the macbook isn't actually capable of playing fullscreen videos, so i'd like to think it's a bug or something. It's ridiculous, i swear it's making me kinda hate apple right now.
Can anyone help me and tell me HOW to watch videos in fullscreen? Thank you

Pieterr

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2015
The Netherlands
Ok, so i've been a fan of apple phones for quite a while now... So thought "i'll switch from hp to mac, why not?"... So i bought an 11' macbook air... Can anyone tell me PLEASE why the HELL is it impossible to play ANY youtube video in fullscreen? Like, seriously Apple? It'd be quite ridiculous if the macbook isn't actually capable of playing fullscreen videos, so i'd like to think it's a bug or something. It's ridiculous, i swear it's making me kinda hate apple right now.

Select a YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzRH3iTQPrk

Click on the ("4 corner") fullscreen icon in the bottom right.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town

What browser are you using, and is it the latest version? What exactly happens when you try going into fullscreen?
It's almost definitely a bug, I haven't come across that problem when using my 15" rMBP, my moms 11" Macbook Air or my sisters 13" MBP

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
When you have a YouTube video window up, look for the various "widgets" in the bottom right corner
And you mouse across the last icon in the bottom right corner of the video window, it will pop up to tell you that is the "full screen" widget. (Looks like 4 corners in a square (?)
Click it, and there you go!
I usually just press the ESC key to leave full screen, but there's other methods, I suppose.

Narccesp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2015
What browser are you using, and is it the latest version? What exactly happens when you try going into fullscreen?
It's almost definitely a bug, I haven't come across that problem when using my 15" rMBP, my moms 11" Macbook Air or my sisters 13" MBP

I'm using version 8.0.3 of safari... When i try going into fullscreen it just won't work, exactly nothing happens... I swear it's driving me crazy #

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Before you "go crazy" :D
Whenever I have some unusual thing happen on my Mac, something that SHOULD work, but doesn't, always try to Quit the app, reopen it and try again.
Are you using Safari in Full Screen (no menus at the top of the screen)?
Exit Full Screen, then try the YouTube video again.
Does anything happen when you click the full screen widget now?

If still nothing, restart your Mac, then try again.
This is NOT a workaround that you should have to do, but just a step in troubleshooting to see what works, and what may need some other help.

Finally, as you are running an older version of Safari, you SHOULD take some time, and update your OS X system, which currently is 10.10.3
Your Safari version then will update to 8.0.5, I think.

Narccesp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2015
Before you "go crazy" :D
Whenever I have some unusual thing happen on my Mac, something that SHOULD work, but doesn't, always try to Quit the app, reopen it and try again.
Are you using Safari in Full Screen (no menus at the top of the screen)?
Exit Full Screen, then try the YouTube video again.
Does anything happen when you click the full screen widget now?

If still nothing, restart your Mac, then try again.
This is NOT a workaround that you should have to do, but just a step in troubleshooting to see what works, and what may need some other help.

Finally, as you are running an older version of Safari, you SHOULD take some time, and update your OS X system, which currently is 10.10.3
Your Safari version then will update to 8.0.5, I think.

I will try updating the OS X system then, because i already restarted it and it won't work ####
Hopefully after updating this it will work! Thanks!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I thought of a question - -
When you are in Safari, from the Edit menu, can you Enter Full Screen, and then Exit Full Screen?
Does THAT work for you?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I will try updating the OS X system then, because i already restarted it and it won't work ��������
Hopefully after updating this it will work! Thanks!

Why won't you answer our questions about browser, etc. Stop saying it doesn't work and help us help you.

• Haha
Reactions: Drewps5co0tt

Narccesp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2015
OK then. What method are you using to enter full screen? What do you click on? Can you post a picture? All of those things will help.

I'm using the little arrows on the right bottom of the video, they look like they're a square, the one that is suppossed to make the video go fullscreen. But nothing happens.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'm using the little arrows on the right bottom of the video, they look like they're a square, the one that is suppossed to make the video go fullscreen. But nothing happens.

OK. That "should" work. I have a MacBook Air too and I promise you is does work. Could there be some kind of browser extension you've installed that might have interfered with it? Can you test it in another browser? How about another user account (even if you don't have another user, enable the Guest account and try it there)?

Narccesp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2015
OK. That "should" work. I have a MacBook Air too and I promise you is does work. Could there be some kind of browser extension you've installed that might have interfered with it? Can you test it in another browser? How about another user account (even if you don't have another user, enable the Guest account and try it there)?

I know it should. Right now i'm updating to OS X 10.10.3 , so i will try again as soon as i can! And nope, i havent installed anything yet because i just bought it yesterday ... I'll let you know if it works after the update :p

Marianavas

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2022
I found a way how to fix this. First exit full screen mode (control+command+F). Your browser or YouTube should be open in a small window. And then try to put the video on full screen. (But the video, not the window). This way it should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.