Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
1. In Subler, it seems I can edit Chapter Names without having to encode the file all over again, but have to with iFlicks 2. Why are the two different?

2. Does editing metadata such the poster, cast, date, etc, effect the actual file of the movie? My plan is to store all my movies on a hard drive and be able to update the just metadata as it changes on TMDB for example lets say every year so it is all current. So will overtime all these revisions of the metadata effect the file?

3. Is there a way to protect a file from deletion? For example I could set a password for a file and to be able to delete it or edit it I would have to unlock it first.

4. Anyone know what AC3 is? From what my understanding, is it is the uncompressed audio bitrate from the movie and can be played if the stereo audio isn't supported?

5. In iFlicks 2, what does the option Update Metadata and Rename mean, and how does it differ from the option Update Metadata?

6. Does MakeMKV also save the Chapter names? It saves the correct time stamps but I can't find the names...

I will reply more questions I have, because they are bound to come.

Last edited:

JPM

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The issues I'm having is...for Subler, how can I just update the metadata on a mp4 file without affecting the audio and video? In their Preference Pane it gives options like Alternate Groups, Convert, Downmix, I just want metadata.

If you open the movie file in Subler there is a pane below the track lists with the headings Metadata, Artwork and Other Settings. Through those and the "+" dropdown at the bottom of the window you can add & edit any metadata you like then save the file.

Personally, I prefer identity for tagging files after encoding in Handbrake. It will pull the metadata from the various sources and populates all the fields automatically. AFAIK you have to do it all by hand with Subler.

Also is there a way to save a bluray with having to use MakeMKV? Can I just load the disc and open it in Handbrake or iFlicks 2?

I believe the answer is no.

speaking of file sizes, with a 2 and a half hour 1080p movie it is over 10 GBs on both Handbrake and iFlicks 2, is there a way to make it a little smaller?

Try different presets in Handbrake to see what you like? Also make sure you aren't unintentionally including all of the audio tracks, but only the ones you need.

I use the iPad preset in Handbrake and a 2h Blu-Ray compresses to about 2GB. This down mixes the audio to 2 channel AAC and 720p but since I only view them on my iPad this is fine (if I'm at home, I'm going to watch the BD itself to get the high-def audio).

Hope this helps.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
also for Subler, it seems I can edit Chapter Names without having to encode the file all over again, like I have to do with iFlicks 2. Why are the two different?

Thanks for the response, do you know about this?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
AFAIK you have to do it all by hand with Subler.
No. Subler can pull metadata from iTunes Store, or alternatively from MovieDB/TVDB. In the former case, you get your clip tagged just as if it was done by Apple, including the various ID-s (ItemID, ArtistID, GenreID etc). You also will get the high-res artwork.
In any case there is nothing you have to fill in manually (except for missing data).
You can also save your metadata sets as templates for later use.

Re BluRay - there is no way to remove BluRay copy-protection (aka DRM) with either HandBrake or iFlicks. Which is what MakeMKV actually does. There are some other options to achieve the same, but all of them are sold commercial products.

JPM

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks for the response, do you know about this?

I have no experience with iFlicks, so I can't help there.

No. Subler can pull metadata from iTunes Store, or alternatively from MovieDB/TVDB. In the former case, you get your clip tagged just as if it was done by Apple, including the various ID-s (ItemID, ArtistID, GenreID etc). You also will get the high-res artwork.
In any case there is nothing you have to fill in manually (except for missing data).

I had no idea you could do that. Thanks!

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
You are welcome!
I admire Subler for the functionality it delivers, free of charge!

I agree. I've been ripping videos for years with handbrake, but I just left them without any metadata or artwork. I finally found out about subler and it's been amazing to say the least!

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Iflicks also adds metada automatically and adds it to itunes at the same time. I use the original iflicks which is free. I like subler, have it installed, but prefer iflicks. It's up to personal preference. Just drag it in, hit one button and it's in itunes. Don't get me wrong I like subler, but iflicks is easier and works as well.

Re BluRay - there is no way to remove BluRay copy-protection (aka DRM) with either HandBrake or iFlicks. Which is what MakeMKV actually does. There are some other options to achieve the same, but all of them are sold commercial products.

Last edited:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Iflicks also adds metada automatically and adds it to itunes at the same time. I use the original iflicks which is free. I like subler, have it installed, but prefer iflicks. It's up to personal preference. Just drag it in, hit one button and it's in itunes. Don't get me wrong I like subler, but iflicks is easier and works as well.

That sounds nice, but it won't work for me. I'm using a windows desktop as my media server. Ripping & encoding to mp4 is done on the desktop. On my laptop, I mount the share and use Subler to add metadata. Those files are dragged into itunes on the desktop where they're available to the AppleTV and other devices around the house.

If I ever replace the Desktop with a Mac Mini, though, I might set up some more automation.

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
OK, but you don't have to automatically add it to tunes. There is a setting to not add it. Just drag in and it automatically adds the metadata if desired.

That sounds nice, but it won't work for me. I'm using a windows desktop as my media server. Ripping & encoding to mp4 is done on the desktop. On my laptop, I mount the share and use Subler to add metadata. Those files are dragged into itunes on the desktop where they're available to the AppleTV and other devices around the house.

If I ever replace the Desktop with a Mac Mini, though, I might set up some more automation.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Does anyone know to use Subler for just the metadata editor, and not all the other options in the advanced section in preferences?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
1. In Subler, it seems I can edit Chapter Names without having to encode the file all over again, but have to with iFlicks 2. Why are the two different?

I have been muxing chapter stops and names from iFlick 2 (by importing from ChapterDB) without re-encoding files (it takes only a minute or two anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.