Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I would think this is the worst time to buy an iphone. There's only about three months before they announce the new one I think.

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
Wait until september when the Note 5 and new 6 Plus gets released. I would probably lean towards the Note 5.

If you like to have the latest and greatest, I would wait a few months!

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Its a bad time looking at either as both will be replaced by successors in a few months.

You have given us no detail as to what you need, what OS you prefer, what phone you have right now etc... So don't expect much to come out of this thread.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Which phone should I upgrade to next?... iPhone 6 Plus or Nexus 6? Thanks.
As others stated, wait and then see. It does boil down though which platform do you prefer. Android or iOS. If you're heavily into Apple services, i.e., iCloud then the iPhone 6 makes sense. If you're using google services then Android.

Neither.

Wait for a smaller iPhone to return.
I'm doing that, I've owned an iPhone 6+ since the fall and I've come to the realization that its just too big. I want something a bit more smaller. I don't want a phone smaller then the iPhone 6, but smaller then the plus.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
As others stated, wait and then see. It does boil down though which platform do you prefer. Android or iOS. If you're heavily into Apple services, i.e., iCloud then the iPhone 6 makes sense. If you're using google services then Android.

I'm doing that, I've owned an iPhone 6+ since the fall and I've come to the realization that its just too big. I want something a bit more smaller. I don't want a phone smaller then the iPhone 6, but smaller then the plus.

I saw an iPhone 6+ the other day, and couldn't believe how huge it was! I couldn't imagine using one. I keep my phone in my trouser pocket. Even the 6 is too big for me. If they got rid of the bezels and reduced the height, it might be okay, but I don't see how they could without getting rid of the home button.

It'll be a great day when we can have a 3.5" iPhone that expands to a 13"-17" iPad as needed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the 6 will be ok for me, but I'll be waiting for the 6S (or 6C). I like the Lumia, but I also enjoy iOS, so I need to just get off the snide and sell the 6+ and then wait out the 3+ months for the 6s.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I don't really care about the iPhone 6S series honestly. I like to keep to what I want and if that be the case, the iPhone 6 Plus prices have dropped.

And no I want a bigger phone thanks. :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I don't really care about the iPhone 6S series honestly. I like to keep to what I want and if that be the case, the iPhone 6 Plus prices have dropped.

with no criteria other than a big phone, both are readily available to try and also have a 14 day return policy.

So go try both and even buy one and see if it meets your needs. The width of the Nexus 6 with its screen size most feel it is too big.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland

I was going to say if the option is between these size is not a problem.

I have a Nexus 7 and a 6+.

The main issue is app quality and small things on Android.

Like chrome etc, even on a 7" screen web pages are rendered like a desktop. Safari fixes them up for easy reading. No zooming etc.

If you use twitter, tweetbot is a sole reason to buy an iPhone as there is no Android equivalent. Plus i like the general consistency of iOS.

BUT... if you an Android fan there is no substitute to STOCK Android.

No bloatwhizz etc. :) Both are a great choice it comes down to OS.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I've owned both the iPhone 6 Plus and the Nexus 6. IMO the Nexus 6 is the nicer more comfortable phone.

The iPhone 6 Plus is also a great phone, with amazing battery life, but it felt so limited and handcuffed with iOS. The 6 Plus device itself and hardware is awesome really really good, but to me iOS is the downer on the phone.

Where as the Nexus 6, especially with the newer 5.1.1 update is outstanding. Google Now is just the best. The front facing speakers are crisp, clear, and very loud, The QHD high res screen makes YouTube videos look out of this world great. Plus all the customization of Android Lollipop is a must have for me. The software navigation keys, and a "Back" button is also a must have.

Size wise they feel about the same in the hand, but the Nexus with it's curved back is actually easier to hold. I have a very thin rubber Nillkin case + CaseBase screen protector, and the phone feels very thin and light. The large size of the Nexus 6 becomes comfortably normal after a few weeks.

The iPhone just feels like something from 2011, whereas Nexus 6 feels like from the future.

Last edited:

WrenFGun

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
If there is any concern over the size of the Nexus, just get a Moto X. The Moto Display is really the best thing available on any smart phone. The battery is meh but it lasts a day. To me, even with some carrier bloat, it's simply a better experience than the Nexus 6. That matters little if you want iOS, of course.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If camera is priority, iPhone. If not, probably the nexus for android freedom, customizability, and features.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I've had both very recently and the nexus 6 is sticking around.

The screen is gorgeous with some tweaking, the camera is actually very good when utilized properly and the front speakers are amazing. Let alone stock Android and the speed of this thing. I slapped a dbrand skin on the back and use it naked to really enjoy the form factor of the device.

The 6+ just bored me but will keep an eye on what the ip7 has to offer as I am sticking with Android for a bit

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Neither. Wait for the Note 5, 6S+ or new Nexus. Why invest in a phone when the newer model is 16-ish weeks away?

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Neither. Wait for the Note 5, 6S+ or new Nexus. Why invest in a phone when the newer model is 16-ish weeks away?

There will always be something new around the corner. Why not get a device that is great right now and then enjoy it versus continuously waiting for the next new thing with buyers remorse?

Just my take on technology and phones lately especially.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
There will always be something new around the corner. Why not get a device that is great right now and then enjoy it versus continuously waiting for the next new thing with buyers remorse?

I have to disagree with this. Normally, I'd agree, but this close to the announcement of the two phones leads me to say wait. The Note 5 is supposedly going to have a 4k screen and the 6S+ is supposedly going to have 2GB of RAM. I can't speak to the first, but the second would have made my 6+ better. It's really the advantage that the Nexus 6 has over the 6+, really. More RAM means I get less everything reloading.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

True to a point but when the revised version is out in 16 weeks I would advise to hold on, especially if interested in the iPhone and for two reasons. 1) The 6+ is a bit of a dog and 2) iPhone prices don't come down until the new version is released. Why pay the release price for a phone that has been out almost nine months? The 6+ isn't all that great now so I wouldn't advise buying one at all. The Nexus 6 is ok so if someone just has to buy one of those phones today then I would say get the Nexus 6.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I have to disagree with this. Normally, I'd agree, but this close to the announcement of the two phones leads me to say wait. The Note 5 is supposedly going to have a 4k screen and the 6S+ is supposedly going to have 2GB of RAM. I can't speak to the first, but the second would have made my 6+ better. It's really the advantage that the Nexus 6 has over the 6+, really. More RAM means I get less everything reloading.

I can understand that view as well but both are amazing devices that are future proof for at least another year or 2 and can get significant discounts on both at this time.

The Nexus 6 will be supported for 2+ more years and is a maxed out spec device and the 6+ is perfectly fine with 1GB at this time as and can be had for super cheap as compared to launch and will only drop.

I guess it depends on the person. I am ok with not having a device the moment they come out and normally buy 3-6 months after launch for huge discounts on amazing devices.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
For me the 6+ has the better screen even with the 2k taken into consideration. That however is not to say the N6 display isn't great. If you prefer vibrant over more accurate then the N6 would suit more.

The N6 with 3gb can keep apps in background longer. However the 6+ does a remarkable job with 1gb it outperforms other 3gb devices I could mention (cough, Samsung, cough).

I do think the slightly narrower dimensions of the 6+ make it more comfortable device to use and the fingerprint scanner is great too, but the front speakers on the N6 are really good.

Camera on the 6+ is better all round but the N6 can take good shots if you know how-to best utilise it.

Battery life both are great but the 6+ often bursts through great to excellent, especially standby time.

Personally I'm glad I have both, but If forced to only have one I think the 6+ has a tad few more strengths than the N6 but in all honesty either is a great big phone, just sometimes the Nexus 6 feels more 'giant' than just big.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I can understand that view as well but both are amazing devices that are future proof for at least another year or 2 and can get significant discounts on both at this time.

The Nexus 6 will be supported for 2+ more years and is a maxed out spec device and the 6+ is perfectly fine with 1GB at this time as and can be had for super cheap as compared to launch and will only drop.

I guess it depends on the person. I am ok with not having a device the moment they come out and normally buy 3-6 months after launch for huge discounts on amazing devices.

Apart from used or off the back of a lorry, where does one buy a reduced price current flagship iPhone?
As for the 6+, I wouldn't want one for 50% off list. It's a half-baked effort and the 1GB of RAM is a disaster.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Apart from used or off the back of a lorry, where does one buy a reduced price current flagship iPhone?

The Marketplace here for one as there are always a 6+ or a 6 for sale in perfect, brand new condition.

And the 6+ is a great device but it isnt for everyone and its not "a disaster" as you put it but to each their own

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.