Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
i need a kvm type setup that will allow me to use 1 keyboard and mouse on two comps with their own monitors.

so when i type in a key command it goes to both computers at same time.

also, would like to be able to switch to solo with ease.

anyone know anything??

i want this for my wow accounts!

Maclarny

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
MN
I use this at work and it does the trick just fine. The Newegg reviews claim unreliability but, in my experience, it has worked just fine.

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
thx for the input...

is this a "one or the other" or can i have two computers with their own monitors being run simultaneously from one keyboard and mouse?

i haven't worked with kvm's in a long time!!

thanks!

Maclarny

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
MN
Ah, this one is just one monitor, keyboard, and mouse; if you're going to have two individual monitors, one for each computer, you really should just pickup an extra keyboard and mouse; you can find both for really cheap, nowadays.

midtoad

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2006
Calgary, Canada
As Squareball mentioned, Synergy is the solution you're looking for. You can set it up with the two monitors side by each, and configure things so that moving the mouse off the right side of the left PC's monitor will then display it on the right monitor and all keystrokes will be received by the right PC.

What the hell are you doing playing more than one WoW session at once anyway? :eek:

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
What the hell are you doing playing more than one WoW session at once anyway? :eek:

hehe, i play from work and i own two accounts, and i'm starting up some horde! might as well level two at once, and i've checked with gm's, as long as i own the accounts, and i'm the only one playing them, they don't really care if i play them both at once :cool:

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
checking out synergy, the download and install are a little bit different than what i'm used to... anyone have tips?

thanks!

FearedBliss

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
I got this off Chris Pirillo's Videos.

If you want to manage 2 Mac computers, Use Teleport.
If your main computer is a Windows machine, you can use Win2VNC which will work on windows and then control other computers .. even a Mac.

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
thank you very much for the link, took me 3 minutes to get it running!

now i need to find a way to give simultaneous keyboard commands to both computers.

any ideas ?

thanks!

hooked

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
I play 2 different online games, & I have 2 accounts for each game, I can play both accounts on a game by logging in 1 game on IE & the other on Chrome (split screen) I can have them in the same room fighting, the problem is going from IE screen to Chrome screen all of this is done with 1 cpu 1 mouse & 1 keyboard what I am trying to accomplish is the ability to move the characters simultaneously! I have 2 cpu 2 screens keyboards & mouses, what ever it would take with these combinations of equipment to have simultaneous movement of these accounts, I think I have all I need except for software or download to put it together PLEASE IF ITS OUT THERE HELP ME GET ER DONE!!!

foobarbazqux

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2014
I play 2 different online games, & I have 2 accounts for each game, I can play both accounts on a game by logging in 1 game on IE & the other on Chrome (split screen) I can have them in the same room fighting, the problem is going from IE screen to Chrome screen all of this is done with 1 cpu 1 mouse & 1 keyboard what I am trying to accomplish is the ability to move the characters simultaneously! I have 2 cpu 2 screens keyboards & mouses, what ever it would take with these combinations of equipment to have simultaneous movement of these accounts, I think I have all I need except for software or download to put it together PLEASE IF ITS OUT THERE HELP ME GET ER DONE!!!

You're talking about multiboxing and it's common in MMORPGs like World of Warcraft (or at least it used to be; haven't played an MMORPG in a few years). People use software to do exactly what you're talking about. autohotkey, isboxer and hotkeynet are a few examples that can do this but I haven't used them in a long time and never with browser-based games. Those are probably only for Windows. I've never done this with OSX. You can probably get better help if you google "multiboxing <name of game>".

In the beginning, people did this with multiple computers and hardware that is pretty much exactly like the OP was looking for (press a key on a keyboard and it's sent to each computer). These days, people tend to use a single computer with multiboxing software. It's been a while since I've done this but I don't recall ever trying to send mouse input to multiple instances, only keystrokes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.