Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny Backer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I'm thinking of purchasing one, but I have some questions which are probably pretty basic.

1. Is "jailbreaking" simply mean that your touch would allow other programs to be written for it?

2. What types of movie files can the touch play? I really don't want to have to think a head of the time that I may need to watch a movie on my touch and have to take the time to encode my video and wait for hours while it switches the movie format to one that the touch can read. Is this likely to be fixed?

3. Is there anything that I should be concerned about if I purchase a touch in a month or two and it's 1.1.3 out of the box? I don't want to purchase one in hopes that 1.1.3 will be cracked so it can be jailbroke, and then it never happens (unlikely) or just takes a long time.

4. Does the touch receive music and movies from my computer only through wifi or is there an alternative transfer method?

5. I don't have to be worried at all if my songs are mp3s, but aren't from itunes, or ripped from CDs do I?

6. Can I stream music/videos that are still on my computer?

7. Can calender alarms be repeated every week/month/weekend without having to re insert them every time?

8. Is the touches storage in memory or on a hard drive inside it?

9. Does the touch have any way to add more storage to it, or are you stuck with the exact size you purchased. Memory card slot?

10. If I want PDA that features like an alarm I can hear without headphones, alerts that can be scheduled, and repeated, videos, music, notes that can be saved locally in separate files, is the touch the best "pda" for what I'm looking for?

11. The notes for the touch can be saved as separate files, right? So if I had some notes for multiple tasks, I could enter each thing that I had to do for each of the different tasks in different notes couldn't I? I'm not stuck with a single page of note pad, but I will have the ability to save multiple note files right?

12. How long does the battery last?

13. Am I able to do anything on my computer through the touch?

14. Does the touch feel bulky in your pocket if you aren't use to anything larger than an iPod nano and chapstick in the same pocket?

Thanks for answering my simple questions.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
1. You asked these similar questions in the post below.

2. People answered them.

3. Do a search.

4. Go to an Apple store and try one.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
1. Is "jailbreaking" simply mean that your touch would allow other programs to be written for it?

Jailbreaking is a term used to describe 3rd party software made for the Touch that is unauthorized by Apple. If you jailbreak your iPod the warranty will be voided.

2. What types of movie files can the touch play? I really don't want to have to think a head of the time that I may need to watch a movie on my touch and have to take the time to encode my video and wait for hours while it switches the movie format to one that the touch can read. Is this likely to be fixed?

Any video file that can play in Quicktime (ie: MP4).

3. Is there anything that I should be concerned about if I purchase a touch in a month or two and it's 1.1.3 out of the box? I don't want to purchase one in hopes that 1.1.3 will be cracked so it can be jailbroke, and then it never happens (unlikely) or just takes a long time.

If you buy it from Apple with 1.1.3 already installed, it will more then likely have the recently released official applications on them (Mail, Notes, Weather, Stocks and Maps in addition to the already available Safari, YouTube and Wi Fi iTunes Store) so there is no need to Jailbreak it.

4. Does the touch receive music and movies from my computer only through wifi or is there an alternative transfer method?

No, it can't sync using it's Wi Fi function. Like every new iPod it can only be synced using a USB cable.

5. I don't have to be worried at all if my songs are mp3s, but aren't from itunes, or ripped from CDs do I?

You'll have to import the tracks into iTunes to put them on your Touch.

6. Can I stream music/videos that are still on my computer?

No.

7. Can calender alarms be repeated every week/month/weekend without having to re insert them every time?

Yes.

8. Is the touches storage in memory or on a hard drive inside it?

Flash memory.

9. Does the touch have any way to add more storage to it, or are you stuck with the exact size you purchased. Memory card slot?

No memory card slot, and trying to upgrade the capacity will void your warranty and more than likely make your iPod useless. I have heard of one case of someone upgrading their 16GB Touch to 32GB successfully, but following this the battery only lasted for an hour when playing audio.

10. If I want PDA that features like an alarm I can hear without headphones, alerts that can be scheduled, and repeated, videos, music, notes that can be saved locally in separate files, is the touch the best "pda" for what I'm looking for?

I can't answer this since I haven't used any other "PDA".

11. The notes for the touch can be saved as separate files, right? So if I had some notes for multiple tasks, I could enter each thing that I had to do for each of the different tasks in different notes couldn't I? I'm not stuck with a single page of note pad, but I will have the ability to save multiple note files right?

Yes.

12. How long does the battery last?

I can get a good 20 hours of audio playback (which includes regularly turning the screen on).

13. Am I able to do anything on my computer through the touch?

No.

14. Does the touch feel bulky in your pocket if you aren't use to anything larger than an iPod nano and chapstick in the same pocket?

Personally, I don't think it does. It is very thin, and while it's height and width makes it appear bulky it doesn't feel uncomfortable when it's placed in a pocket.

Johnny Backer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
1. Can the touch play flash through the browser? Can flash games be saved locally to the touch to be played any time? Or can flash games be transfered to the touch from my computer to play on the touch?

2. I read that if you jailbreak your touch it voids your warranty, is this true? How would they know, I thought jailbreak was just software that could be undone?

3. If jailbreaking voids the warranty, can't I just upgrade to the latest firmware when I get my touch and wait until February for that SDK and my touch will be as good as a jailbroken one, except that I will still have my warranty and I may have to pay $20 for that app pack?

Thanks for your help in answering my questions. I'm really trying to debate if I should buy a Touch sooner or later, as later may give my the app pack for free and save me $20, but will likely have the latest firmware, which may or may not be broken any time soon.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
1. You asked these similar questions in the post below.

2. People answered them.

3. Do a search.

4. Go to an Apple store and try one.

Who do some people feel the need to be rude on message boards? If you don't want to answer the question, why even post a response?

cjd82187

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007
1. Can the touch play flash through the browser? Can flash games be saved locally to the touch to be played any time? Or can flash games be transfered to the touch from my computer to play on the touch?

2. I read that if you jailbreak your touch it voids your warranty, is this true? How would they know, I thought jailbreak was just software that could be undone?

3. If jailbreaking voids the warranty, can't I just upgrade to the latest firmware when I get my touch and wait until February for that SDK and my touch will be as good as a jailbroken one, except that I will still have my warranty and I may have to pay $20 for that app pack?

Thanks for your help in answering my questions. I'm really trying to debate if I should buy a Touch sooner or later, as later may give my the app pack for free and save me $20, but will likely have the latest firmware, which may or may not be broken any time soon.

Well, if you go to get your jailbroken touch fixed, they will probably deny you. Just do a restore with iTunes and you are back to normal.

Also there is no flash support =( It would be godly if it did have flash support.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
Who do some people feel the need to be rude on message boards? If you don't want to answer the question, why even post a response?

Because he posted this in two different threads 25 minutes apart and was answered in both. If he can be impatient, I can be rude.

Johnny Backer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Because he posted this in two different threads 25 minutes apart and was answered in both. If he can be impatient, I can be rude.

Excuses no matter what they are for, degrade your character.

Did you ever once think that perhaps I was in a hurry as me purchasing a Touch depending on getting answers to a few questions quickly?

Be nice or GTFO of my threads.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
How sad. I'm not a fan of being rude either. These same people probably treat many that they come in contact with in a way that I wouldn't enjoy.

Rudness always loses credibility in my book.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

At the moment the Touch cannot play flash, it doesn't have games that can be played anytime you want like the Classic and Nano either. However, there are web apps available for the Touch that include games but these can only be played when the Wi Fi is connected. These web apps can be saved to the home screen of the Touch for easy access (starting with 1.1.3 and the software upgrade).

Ok, I should rephrase what I said. For the duration in which you jailbreak your Touch your warranty will be voided. If something goes wrong with your iPod and you are not able to restore it and remove the jailbreak applications, then it will not be covered by warranty. If you successfully restore your iPod and remove the jailbreak apps, then it will be covered by warranty again. Since the jailbreak apps are similar to those included in the recent software upgrade, Apple will be able to tell what is authorized and what is not since those that have the legit upgrade display "1.1.3 (with Software Upgrade)" in the Summary tab in iTunes.

Yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.