Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrpeepers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Time for one of these threads...

What Mac software can you not live without? Freeware or otherwise.

Peace

M

For me:
SuperDuper (hurry it up already)
Adium
Office 2008
Firefox
Quicksilver

Retired
May 16, 2006
QuickSilver
Inquisitor
Adium
Netnewswire
Growl

While I love Pages, I could be happy with alternatives, and the same goes for Safari.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Not too many I can't live without. At least that doesn't come on the Mac (like iLife). But I can't live without FileMaker Pro, Firefox and Office. Maybe throw CS3 in there, but if I had to, I could make do with something else.

littlewaywelt

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
for those of us that are new to the imac world, can you give a brief description of what the programs you can't live without do?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
OmniFocus. I've only been using it for 2 weeks, but it's totally changing my personal productivity. I'm actually completing tasks and actions to reach my goals instead of just watching TV, browsing MR and so on! It's ace.

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
I could live without these apps, but if I'm using a computer for most work items, I have to use:

Entourage (have to connect to an Exchange server with no IMAP)
Word & Excel (currently running 2008, but I could live with 04)
Finale (music notation)
Dr. Betotte (metronome)
iTunes
Filemaker Pro
Audacity
Pro Tools

mrpeepers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Cool! I learned about some software I've never even heard of! Mission accomplished!

Anyone else?

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
firefox - simply because safari won't let me access my college email account. i've never known why, but just live with it.

Exposé - i know it's not really software, but i could not live without it. with no taskbar, like xp, it's hard to know what windows are open, but exposé rules out the need for a taskbar, and is much cooler.

i'll get back to this thread when i'm on my mac and realise there's something i always use! :)

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Lack of these won't put me in the ground, but I'm partial to them since there aren't easy alternatives that I'm aware of:

Quicksilver
NeoOffice

FelixMC

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
cs3
ms word
iwork 08
ilife 06
adium
rise of nations gold
diablo 2
star craft
taco html
safari
quartz composer
apple works
snapz pro
activity monitor
terminal
cyber duck
mail

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.