Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjaja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Glasgow
My dad has got a wireless network for his office that has computers (all running Windows XP), and it has two printers connected to it, a Epson inkjet and a HP laser-jet. I would like to use these printers with my MacBook, that is connected to that network for Internet. So I tried...

When it came to initially adding them, they showed up in the Windows network browser and I could assign a driver to them and they show up in the Print dialog box.

But when it comes to actually printing something, a username and password is asked for, so I type my dad's and it works fine. But on the print window that comes up showing the jobs and what not, there is just a "On Hold (Authentication Required)" message on the Status row. I have checked the computers on the network and there doesn't appear to any Authentication message popping up, nor does my job show up on the Print Queue.

Am I doing anything wrong? Should I add the printers again in a different manner? What can I do to make it work?
Thanks very much in advance :)

Attachments

• It recognizes it.png
    It recognizes it.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 225
  • It shows up.png
    It shows up.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 231
  • It appears to work...sorta.png
    It appears to work...sorta.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 240

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

You can install Bonjour for windows allowing easier set up and sharing. Google it.

dwilt

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2008
An answer?

Mr jaja, I'm having the same issue here at work - I connect to a windows network and I'm having trouble printing to a few of them as well.. any progress?

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Added iMac to PC network will not print

I have been using PC's since 1984. Just got my new iMac this week and enjoy the new OS and it's way of doing things. I have a wired network with 2 PC's on it using XP2. I added my iMac to the network but cannot get it to print. The Laser-Jet HP is connected to one of my PC. The iMac has the printer & it's drive listed, along with the location of my printer.

When I send to printer from the iMac it gives me the message "Printer Paused" I can reset it but nothing prints. I can see the names of the other 2 network printers on my iMac along with the name of the network. But so far can't get the shared folder, printer stuff to work for me. NO big deal, I am enjoying the path my new Apple has. I am at the rock bottom of the learning curve for sure, however the 20 some years of PC's helps at least understand the basic ideas. I can see at a glance this Mac stuff is going to be enjoyable. My dream is to get away from MS for good, they have been a pain from the beginning. I am just a player here and in the process of understanding the various ways Mac OS can help me move into a their way of doing things.

Thank you for any help
Choctaw

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I have been using PC's since 1984. Just got my new iMac this week and enjoy the new OS and it's way of doing things. I have a wired network with 2 PC's on it using XP2. I added my iMac to the network but cannot get it to print. The Laser-Jet HP is connected to one of my PC. The iMac has the printer & it's drive listed, along with the location of my printer.

When I send to printer from the iMac it gives me the message "Printer Paused" I can reset it but nothing prints. I can see the names of the other 2 network printers on my iMac along with the name of the network. But so far can't get the shared folder, printer stuff to work for me. NO big deal, I am enjoying the path my new Apple has. I am at the rock bottom of the learning curve for sure, however the 20 some years of PC's helps at least understand the basic ideas. I can see at a glance this Mac stuff is going to be enjoyable. My dream is to get away from MS for good, they have been a pain from the beginning. I am just a player here and in the process of understanding the various ways Mac OS can help me move into a their way of doing things.

Thank you for any help
Choctaw
First I would make sure that the Mac and PC's are apart of the same Workgroup, usually WORKGROUP or MSHOME. Though this may only be a problem with file sharing not printer sharing.

However your HP driver for Mac OS X may only be a USB driver and not compatible with networked printers, this caused all sorts of problems for me with printing to an Officejet shared by a Windows computer. Anyways I dumped the HP drivers and got opensource drivers instead. To use the drivers you will need to download the appropriate versions of HPIJS, Foomatic-RIP, and GPLGS for your version of Mac OS X.

Driver downloads

j.bond312

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Hey i have 3 windows computers in my house and a macbook, on one of the windows computers i have a HP inkjet attached to it, to enable it to be able to used by other computers, firstly make sure you have set the printer to be shared within the network. this can be done by going into printer and faxes, right clicking your printer and selecting the 'Share' tab and enable the printer for sharing and give it a shared name.

Secondly as someone has previously said make sure that your computers are all part of the same workgroup, by default this is usually WORKGROUP or MSHOME, to check this, go into your computers, go to system properties and select the computer name tab, it will tell you what workgroup you are in, if they are different change them to the same ones.

After all of this its time to get onto your mac, go to system preferences, and select printer and fax (im assuming youre using leopard by the way) then select the little '+' button to add a new printer.

Now within the new window there should be various tabs such as 'default', 'fax' 'ip' etc, you need to select the one that says 'Windows'. Then just wait a few seconds and your workgroup should appear with a little arrow next to it (make sure that you are connected to the network and the printer is on and so is the computer that the printer is connected to). select the workgroup and then a list of computer names within that workgroup will appear (only those that are currently on), select the computer that has the printer connected to it, then if you wait a while whilst it searches for shared devices your printer should then appear, select the printer, it may then ask you to enter your password for your mac to continue.

You will then see a window which asks the location of the printer, i just simply type in the name of the computer its attached to. Then underneath that it says 'Print Using' from the drop down list you need to select 'Select a driver to use', this will bring up a long list of drivers, simply find the one that corresponds to your printer e.g HP laserjet 5800 series or whatever, then it should be successfully added.

Sorry for the long winded explanantion, if you have any troubles or are confused by anything then just message me or post back here, hope it helps!!

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
iMac at least is communication with my PC connected printer.

j.bond312 & velocityg4 Thanks for your help. I used the instructions as suggested. I now at least have some type of comunications between my iMac and the PC on my network that has the HP printer. However that reaction is as follows. I wrote a one liner to be printed on my word processor and sent it to the printer. When printing started (yes I am happy it started at least I am getting some response) from my HP LaserJet 2100 it did not print what was typed but printed " %!PS-Adobe-3.0 %APL_DSC_Encoding: UTF8 %APLProducer: (Version 10.5.2 (Build 9C7010 "

Which was printed on the 1st page. Then my printer continued to spit out BLANK pages until I stopped it. Just needs some tweaking and I will be a happy camper. Must be the wrong language or something of that nature.

But thanks for getting me this far.
Choctaw

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I'm having a heck of a time to getting my Macs to use the shared printer on my XP machine. File sharing is no problem, but printer sharing I can't get to work.

Be thankful atleast that you are using XP. I've tried getting my moms macbook to even see my Dad's Vista machine....no luck. It won't show up in the finder sidebar at all.

Let us know if you figure something out.

-Kevin

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
j.bond312 & velocityg4 Thanks for your help. I used the instructions as suggested. I now at least have some type of comunications between my iMac and the PC on my network that has the HP printer. However that reaction is as follows. I wrote a one liner to be printed on my word processor and sent it to the printer. When printing started (yes I am happy it started at least I am getting some response) from my HP LaserJet 2100 it did not print what was typed but printed " %!PS-Adobe-3.0 %APL_DSC_Encoding: UTF8 %APLProducer: (Version 10.5.2 (Build 9C7010 "

Which was printed on the 1st page. Then my printer continued to spit out BLANK pages until I stopped it. Just needs some tweaking and I will be a happy camper. Must be the wrong language or something of that nature.

But thanks for getting me this far.
Choctaw

This is the exact problem I had before installing HPIJS, Foomatic and GPLGS from the site I linked to.

Remember once install you must remove your printer from print and fax. Then install a new one when you choose a driver for it select HP -> "printer model" with foomatic/hpijs.

One caveat I do have though is that while everything else works fine I can not print directly from any Adobe program, for some odd reason. For some reason after the print queue shows up on my Mac it will not even appear on the Windows computer. The only alternative is to open the Adobe file in another program and print from there.

I do not know of a workaround for this yet and since it has not been a major issue for me yet I have not investigated further, for detailed prints I use a high quality Epson photoprinter. The HP is just used for Web, Word and PDF's. The PDF's I print through Preview.

kbmb said:
I'm having a heck of a time to getting my Macs to use the shared printer on my XP machine. File sharing is no problem, but printer sharing I can't get to work.

Be thankful atleast that you are using XP. I've tried getting my moms macbook to even see my Dad's Vista machine....no luck. It won't show up in the finder sidebar at all.

Let us know if you figure something out.

-Kevin
Since I do not use Vista only XP I can not say if this problem has been fixed in either Mac OS X or Vista updates. But the problem seems to stem from Vistas security policies. You can try this to fix your Vista file sharing woes. Also try googling "file sharing between vista and mac os x" for other solutions.

As for your printing woes try the fix I listed with HPIJS. If you are using an Epson printer try Gutenprint. For other printers look here.

Though your printers manufacturer may make drivers for your printer if it is not a networkable printer (with ethernet port) they probably only made USB drivers for Mac OS X. Thus for network printing you must use one of the above open source drivers to use networked printers.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Fixed my windows-mac printing troubles. Need to del a printer yet.

I have a HP LaserJet 2100 hooked to my PC network. As I have stated in other posts the printer is connected to one of my PC's and has been a real bitch getting the iMac to print right. I am NEW to Apple and have lots to learn.

Fixed my printing troubles by going to HP web and downloading a HP printer file with Gutenprint V5.52.051 a Laserjet driver for Macintosh. Things are working great... prints a page and stops. Have not printed 2 yet, but assume it will do the job. I know.... assuming anything on a puter is just hopeful thinking.

Only glitch I have now is I have to choose the new printer listing every-time I print. Seems the iMac is not keeping my default setting for my new printer. Can't seem to del the old listing either, but I am right on it trying to find out why.

Thanks to all for the bits of info you have shared.
Choctaw

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Fixed my printing troubles by going to HP web and downloading a HP printer file with Gutenprint V5.52.051 a Laserjet driver for Macintosh. Things are working great...
Only glitch I have now is I have to choose the new printer listing every-time I print. Seems the iMac is not keeping my default setting for my new printer. Can't seem to del the old listing either, Thanks to all for the bits of info you have shared.Choctaw

Last update..........I got the printer setting to stay as default buy choosing the "Choose Last Printer Setting" everything is fine NOW. Mac is a real smooth act and makes some of the old PC ideas look kind of outdated to this old 1984 PC user.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Good to hear everything worked out well for you. One caveat I have discovered in my use of opensource drivers like you are using is that sometimes custom paper sizes and margin settings do not work right, at least on my HP Officejet 6110. Just so you know.

steveb523

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
mrjaja: try adding the Guest account to the Windows PC printer share.

Then, when the MAC print dialog asks for a username and pw, the username is "Guest" (Note: without the quotation marks) and the password is "guest". Both are case-sensitive

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Answering old post and not noticing it !

mrjaja: try adding the Guest account to the Windows PC printer share. Then, when the MAC print dialog asks for a username and pw, the username is "Guest" (Note: without the quotation marks) and the password is "guest". Both are case-sensitive

steveb523 When I first got on forums and started commenting to various posts I never noticed the date stamp as to when it was written. So I felt a bit embarrassed when members started pointing out I was answering to things that were very old that were posted many years ago.

What you as a new member are responding to is a dated post back in Feb of 2008 seven years ago. Nothing wrong with it, I still have it happen to me, but most of the time the original poster has moved on.

naveenraj

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2015
Adding a printer on a Windows Network

Hi there,

Great post sir! You really posted a great article and it will help all the person. Who are wanting help from someone like me. I have been faced same issue at my all google searches i got the solution from here to adding a wireless printer or usb on a windows network. Thanks alot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.