Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bns1201

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
One day my mail app decided not to work. I have an aol and an msn live account on here that refuse to reach their outgoing ports (IMAP and POP3 respectively). I've deleted the accounts, and tried to re enter them on the application but nothing seems to work. Has anyone had these problems before or have a solution for my problem? Any help would be great. Thanks.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Are you getting a message that says it is unreachable, or is it saying the connection is refused?

sgtbob

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Kansas
Mail Prob;em

I have a similar problem in that when I try to send a message, it keeps sending an error that my smtp.central.cox.net' is not reachable. Can't figure what happened - and I just loaded Snow Leopard.

BTW - how do you get a clean copy of mail.app?

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
I have a similar problem in that when I try to send a message, it keeps sending an error that my smtp.central.cox.net' is not reachable. Can't figure what happened - and I just loaded Snow Leopard.

BTW - how do you get a clean copy of mail.app?

sgtbob,

I think what you need to do is go into SMTP preferences and instead of using "default port (25)" set it to manually use port 25, and make sure that authentication is set to "none." Seems to me that mail.app is sending through the wrong port when default and no authentication are checked. I had the same problem sending through Cox and this fixed it.

BNS1201, you may want to try the same thing, but AOL and MSN do use authentication, so you will have to set that and the corresponding port accordingly. Most likely it will be port 993 and SSL authentication, but you should probably check the Internet to be sure.

bns1201

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
I cannot get past the screen entitled Add Account. When I enter my AOL email address the message "The AOL IMAP server “imap.aol.com” is not responding. Try checking the network connection, and that the server name is correct." comes up every time. This is quite annoying, and I wonder if theres anything that needs to be changed in my account settings with the computer that is preventing me from reaching the aol server.

Thunderbird also cannot reach AOL or my hotmail account so I am starting to think it is actually some way my computer is configured

mfarichter

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
I cannot get past the screen entitled Add Account. When I enter my AOL email address the message "The AOL IMAP server “imap.aol.com” is not responding. Try checking the network connection, and that the server name is correct." comes up every time. This is quite annoying, and I wonder if theres anything that needs to be changed in my account settings with the computer that is preventing me from reaching the aol server.

Thunderbird also cannot reach AOL or my hotmail account so I am starting to think it is actually some way my computer is configured

Hello folks,

i'm having the same issue. Is there a solution to this problem?

I had a AOL account in Mail and the moment in installed Snow Leopard it went dead. I couldnt connect to the server - server refuses connection over the port 143. Sending emails is the same - server refuses connection. Deleted the account - tried to reinstall - server does not answer when I entered the email adress. Tried Thunderbird - same issue. Tried my friends internet connection - same issue. It is not the internetconnection or the router - it seems to the be the macbook. I can access my mail fine via Webmail and i get my emails without any problems on my blackberry.

Please I neet help i'm going crazy.

Thank you very much

sgtbob

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Kansas
Thunderbird Solution

FWIW - Based on a suggestion above, I downloaded Thunderbird, installed it and asked it to install the e-mail accounts I have with my cox.net provider - all the problems noted in Mac Mail vanished in using Thunderbird. So - I will probably stay with Thunderbird at least until MAC gets this fixed.

I removed all email accounts (6-10 times), reinstalled them, stopped Mail, restarted my iMAC, did a 'rebuild' and the same problems return. Cox says it is a Mac Mail 'connectivity issue' and Mac says it is an 'Idle timing ......something' at Cox.

Technicians at both Cox and Mac Mail state that the issue is with the other service. Funny about that when Thunderbird works great and the mail appears in both Cox and Thunderbird, just not in Mac mail. Go figure!!!

Bob

:):D;):eek::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.