Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moocat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Norman, OK
Hello,

I have been trying to convert some PDFs to epub format. Unfortunately the output from calibre is indigestible. Does anyone have a good solution for converting PDFs to epub while preserving images and formatting? Thanks for your help. :)

Note: I already have good reader and find it far less polished than iBooks.

jodorowsky00

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Hello,

I have been trying to convert some PDFs to epub format. Unfortunately the output from calibre is indigestible. Does anyone have a good solution for converting PDFs to epub while preserving images and formatting? Thanks for your help. :)

What do you want the PDF to do?
Because if you think that spending time converting is convenient then you have too much time.

moocat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Norman, OK
What do you want the PDF to do?
Because if you think that spending time converting is convenient then you have too much time.

Preserve formatting when converted to epub. I have a huge collection of Pdfs that are valuable to me and I would take the time to convert. I really don't see how it would be all that time consuming anyway. I'm sure batch converting would be a possibility. I just don't know my way around ebook software. There is no need to be a jerk.

kevhui

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2008
I heard GoodReader is good to veiw PDF files but not sure if it suits you.

jodorowsky00

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
No it does not take 30 seconds, caliber hates images in PDFs an usually can't convert them , also is your PDF is not a nicely written or is a scan of a book it usually can't convert it well and when imported to iBooks it lags and feels bugy. if you like your PDFs get for 99c or comic reader mobi for 13 bucks.

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
Hello,

I have the same question. No answers here yet. I did discover an app called papers which does a superb job of moving pdf's to the iPad. There is a corresponding mac application and synch works flawlessly.

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
No it does not take 30 seconds, caliber hates images in PDFs an usually can't convert them , also is your PDF is not a nicely written or is a scan of a book it usually can't convert it well and when imported to iBooks it lags and feels bugy. if you like your PDFs get for 99c or comic reader mobi for 13 bucks.

Umm I've just converted like 10 pdfs into books and they look just as if I downloaded them from the ibook store no lag and no feeling buggy and yes they took approx 30 seconds each on my pc. I am not sure what you are doing wrong but I can assure you it works just fine for me.

freddystewert

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Calibre is good for free software. but it does tend to have some formatting issues and I have never been able to create a working TOC and Index links. if u are looking to get a more professional looking and feeling pdf to .epub conversion(like if u wanted it to be sell your book online) u should check out this site! pdf to epub converter

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
iBooks is kind of cute, but it is like driving a compact car instead of a top of the line luxury car. Wow. GoodReader is powerful stuff. A drug I couldn't live without. Converting a perfectly good PDF to an ePub file? That sounds awful.

Anyhow, there are lots of issues. Have you done OCR on the file and converted the image to text (if needed)?

Rockyroadrash

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2013
This works

I have success with this procedure.
Go to http://www.ZamZar.com
follow instructions to upload .pdf file
select .epub to convert to
open email on fondle-pad and select link to your conversion.
download file and open with ibooks.

Barhen

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
Hello,

A pdf reader would be better for this instead of trying to convert to epub..
I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do.. read a book? notes? etc.. little more information would clarify what it is you need it to do other than convert file types... If its for books... ibooks kinda sucks for PDFs as you noticed, which made me switch to another book management app which I guess is what you are looking for... that accepts PDFs? Goodreader is the best for pdf books...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.