Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
as mentioned in the 1.8 thread, here is an exteneded thread on this topic:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&thread.id=45342

has any macrumors users been able to successfully sync their mac with a PS3? I sort of got it to work, using an older version of eyeconnect (version 1.0) because i'm using 10.3.9. I was able to watch a couple mpg movies and view pics from my mac, but I couldnt get any music to show up, nor could I get it to sync with my itunes library. I kept getting all sorts of error messages and the PS3 kept disconnecting me from the PS3 network (is that neccesary?). In the link I posted, someone gave instructions on setting up the connection involving turning on personal file sharing. Is this risky, or am I just being paranoid? Either way, the whole thing seems extremely buggy right now.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Apparently, the best experience can be had by using Windows Media Player 11 on Windows. However, I've had semi-luck with EyeConnect on my Mac.

I have the same issues you do, and have tried several routers and wired/wireless setups. I think we should just wait until a savy Mac developer releases ConnectPS3 or something similar. Maybe this is something Nullsoft will consider developing. There are not many "good" DLNA/UPNP servers for Mac.

By the way, many have mentioned that the AirPort routers do not support UPNP. However, Apple developed a proprietary alternative technology that is compatible with UPNP, and it's turned on by default.

Also, TwonkyVision has been updated to support the PS3. However, I have yet to figure out how to configure the software. It's not as intuitive as EyeConnect.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I had no luck with EyeConnect I just kept getting server disconnection errors. TwonkyVision is working though but it just doesn't have a nice vibe to it. I can't wait for ConnectPS3 ... oh please Lord let there be a ConnectPS3!

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
EyeConnect is much better than TwonkyMedia. I played around with Twonky yesterday and it wasn't working for me in the end even with Music. With EyeConnect, I've got it to see my iTunes Music Files on my PS3 and Pictures but as far as Movies, no luck yet. What format will the PS3 play for Movies? Does it play (mp4) H.264 files? I've had a couple of those on my Mac, it sees them but it shows up as Unsupported Format.

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
I emailed nullriver support about a possible 'connectPS3' it and got the reply "were looking into it" so they know we want it altleast :)

I tried using EyeConnect but kept getting disconnection / media access denied errors, ive raised it with elgato but then i realised im using the new Airport Extreme which apparently doesnt support PnP so this maybe is the issue?

Im dissappointed at the moment due to PS1/PS2 scaling giving me a blank screen on my 1080p LCD tv so it looks like my tv might not be supported.. going to call sony later.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
EyeConnect is much better than TwonkyMedia. I played around with Twonky yesterday and it wasn't working for me in the end even with Music.

I have photos, music, and videos working fine in TwonkyMedia. 4.3 is still a bit dodgy but they have a new version 4.4 in beta at the moment which is meant to support the PS3 properly. I haven't tried that version yet though so I can't comment.

As for EyeConnect... I can't even get it to connect... I keep getting server permission and disconnect errors... weird!

jan08

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Wakefield, England
Good lord, this is annoying! Ive tried Eye Connect and its fine - ish for Music but seems slow as hell and buffering all the time, very average for pictures and can't find MP4 movie files.

I have then downloaded Twonky which seems slightly better for Music, but I have tried everything, even offered the Mac £20 cash and a Mars Bar, but still I cannot get Twonky to find video or picture files.

I wish we'd never had this update as I'll never get tthese few hours of my life back

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I've got it working with Eye-Connect 1.1. It's a little slow, but that doesn't bother me too much right now.

What does bother me, that on the PS3, I can only select the existing iTunes playlists, or "Library" or "Music". I only have like five playlists, so to browse my music, I have to select "Library" or "Music". This is where it gets annoying: It simply lists ALL 1400 SONGS in one column. No sorting by artist, album, no search, no anything. Just an endless string of songs I can scroll through. It displays all the Artist and Album tags correctly, why can't it sort and filter by them?

Anyone know a workaround for this? It really makes the whole thing almost useless to me.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
No m4a support and no avi/DivX/etc support makes me sad. Only a small portion of my music library plays back, and none of my videos.

The best part is, I transcoded one of my movies to mpeg4 to see if it would play, and WMP11 refuses to add it to the Videos library because they want WMP or AVI only. So, I finally get a format that the PS3 likes and WMP11 won't allow it.

Nice.

I'll wait for ConnectPS3 and hope it has realtime transcoding.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
If only we'd Connect360 for the PS3. With the recent spring update combined with Connect360 v3.1, the Xbox 360 is just up at the next level. I'll give this one to the 360 for now.

mk2000

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2007
AVC/H.264 and Divx Streaming on Mac to PS3

Hey Guys,

Running a virtual instance of XP on a dedicated Ethernet Inteface under Parallels on a Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Dual Core Dual Processor Intel Xeon system.

Using rev 802 of ffdshow and TVersity's latest DLNA server release with their latest Sony V2 patch (no other codecs or packages installed)

Works beautifully :)
(happy Mac person!)

All my handbrake iPod AVC files stream and display natively on the PS3 and my XVID/DivX stream and transcode (realtime!) very nicely.

My next goal is MKV but still extremely happy even if I don't get that working.

TVersity is the only DLNA server I know that has support for streaming AVC to the PS3 (twonkyvision and others do not)

mk2000 :D

onesixright

macrumors member
May 28, 2007
Netherlands
Solution: Use EyeConnect with PS3 v1.8 (DLNA!)

Hi Guyz,

I updated my PS3 to v1.8, there is support for media servers (DLNA). I d/l a trial from EyeConnect (http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyeconnect) that makes your mac (for me i have a oldie iMac / 700) stream: pictures / music and video! Works good (not great yet, but that seems to be more related to the 1.8 version of the PS3. By time it will get even better!).

Have fun,

Regards,

16R

Oofie

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Hi Guyz,

I updated my PS3 to v1.8, there is support for media servers (DLNA). I d/l a trial from EyeConnect (http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyeconnect) that makes your mac (for me i have a oldie iMac / 700) stream: pictures / music and video! Works good (not great yet, but that seems to be more related to the 1.8 version of the PS3. By time it will get even better!).

Have fun,

Regards,

16R
Not to bust your bubble, but a few posts above yours have also tried and suggested EyeConnect, but most users have problems with it. Maybe you should try reading the whole thread first.

trigga

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2005
Would my PS3 be able to see a hard drive (and stream from it) thats connected to my new airport base-station. As far as i know the airport base-station is not UPnP but it uses some other protocol that is compatible with UPnP.

onesixright

macrumors member
May 28, 2007
Netherlands
Not to bust your bubble, but a few posts above yours have also tried and suggested EyeConnect, but most users have problems with it. Maybe you should try reading the whole thread first.

idd, didn't read the whole thread. :eek:

Eyeconnect (v1.1) works 4 me. It got some issues, but seems to be more related to ps3 then eyeconnect. The PS3 lacks some support for AVI... (and more) hope they will fix that.. i use it together with EyeTV... that seems to work. To bad the refreshing of content seem to be a bit strange on the PS3... anyhints? I do a 'search for media servers' to refresh my contect... but truly handy its not...:rolleyes:

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Eyeconnect (v1.1) works 4 me. It got some issues, but seems to be more related to ps3 then eyeconnect. The PS3 lacks some support for AVI... (and more) hope they will fix that..

The problems with EyeConnect are with the software package itself, not the PS3. On Windows, Nero MediaHome and Windows Media Player both work fine with the PS3.

It looks like ElGato needs to update their software, especially considering its price.

And remember AVI is a container, much like MOV, which can use multiple video codecs including Windows Media, DivX, xvid, etc.

inorbit

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2007
hey all,

i got eyeconnect working like a charm with my PS3 and quad-G5.
one solution to the way the PS3 displays a single long list of songs-

in EyeConnect's prefs, delete the share of your itunes music library, and tell it to share your music *folder* instead.

this way, the PS3 sees data (works the same) and therefore will keep the folder structure...

cheers.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
Has anyone been able to get rid of the access denied errors when using and Airport Extreme (n-router) and using EyeConnect 1.1???

I've opened the port that the eyeconnect says to open via the router and the firewall on my iMac (CD2, 20", 2gigs ram, latest Tiger) is turned off... I also turned on windows sharing and file sharing... still get the errors...

I'm able to see the thumbnails of my movies, photos, and mp3's, but it won't load any photos or mp3's... It'll play SOME movies, but not all..

Also, I can't seem to make a "NEW" exception in the OS's firewall... I click on the NEW, but it just sits there and does nothing.. I've tried with both the firewall on and off... Any ideas?

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Not me, i still get them, i emailed Elgato about this same issue and they admit EyeConnect 1.1 is not 100% PS3 compatible, they did tell me they'd fix it but admitted they had no time frame for implementing the fix :(

Better news however is Firmware 1.82 is due in a few days for the PS3 and will include support for AVC High Profile H.264/MPEG-4 files.

Monyx

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2005
Australia
idd, didn't read the whole thread. :eek:

Eyeconnect (v1.1) works 4 me....
i use it together with EyeTV... that seems to work.

Can you play back your EyeTV recordings ok? I can see all the listings but get a "corrupt data" when I try to play with PS3 1.82.

If I copy the MPEG2 file out from the EyeTV created package to my Movies folder, the PS3 plays it fine from there browsing to Movies folder, so no prob with MPEG2, rather the way EyeConnect is representing the OSX Package (folder contents) to PS3.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Has there been any update on this?

I'm interested in streaming to the PS3 and directly to my Onkyo (also a DLNA device).

I see Twonky has 4.4 out, has anyone used it?

Thanks for any updates...

Mike...

Xorro

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2008
UK
I assume you have installed the rivet software then?

What is the playback like for music, any probs with stuttering/buffering?

Are there any issues with streaming lossless music with the mac / PS3?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.