Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiveSearch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
livesearchmobilesu7.png

Hi,

We have just released the new Live Search for iPhone in the US, UK and Australia.

What is it?
It's an iPhone-friendly version of the Live Search site (not an app!) which means it's now even easier to get the right results on the spot.

What's so special about it?
Give it a go and decide for yourself. Try searching for "Weather", "HSBC", "Madonna" or "Paris" and then compare what you see to what you get on your default search engine.
Hint: we don't squeeze a PC search results page into your iPhone's screen.

How can I get it?
Go to m.live.com on your iPhone's browser.

Can you send me a link?
To send yourself a free text message with a link to Live Search, click here: http://messengergonemobile.com/?d=search

Tell me more, so what are the new features?
  • The entire search site is tailored for the iPhone's screen. It’s easier to see the search results and quicker to navigate between result sets like Maps, Local Businesses, Images and Web Results.
  • Personalization: you can add widgets like a local weather forecast or stock quotes to your Live Search homepage. To try it, click on “Weather” in the homepage or search for “BP” or “US:MSFT”.
  • Saved locations: You can now save favourite locations like Home and Work. To try it, click on “Near->Save My Location”.
  • Walking directions: Live Search now supports walking directions as well driving directions. To try it, search for “HSBC” or “Tesco”, select “Drive to” to get the directions and then click on “Walk”.
  • X-Rank: Live Search X-Rank is now available on mobile. To try it, search for “Madonna” or “U2”.
  • Mobile web results: Mobile web results now appear on top of results with a quick description. To try it, search for “Hotmail” or “Facebook”.
  • Encarta answers automatically appear on top of results. This is super useful for pub quizes:) To try it, search for “when was bruce springsteen born?”, “what's the capital of kenya?”, “what's the highest mountain?” or “what's the population of uk?”?

I love it - what more can I do?
Add it to your iPhone's bookmarks and homescreen.
(As an iPhone fan you probably know that you can't change your iPhone's default search engine :( ).

I hate it - what more can I do?
Comment here and tell us why. We're constantly working to improve Live Search for mobile and seriously take your feedback.

Can you show me some screenshots of Live Search on an iPhone?

Sure:

Microsoft UK - Mobile Team

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Great, when does it come to the U.S.?

Is it voice activated, like on every other phone?

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
The downward point arrow in the right-hand side shouldn't be displayed if clicking on it produces no options.

The "Near" select box is weird. On an iPhone, I'd expect and select to just display options and not actions. The "Change my Location." action and "Save my Location." action should be displayed elsewhere.

rageboi

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
So you have launched an iphone friendly web screen for live search? AND??

Is there something I am missing?

JamesStevenzona

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2008
Works for me

So you have launched an iphone friendly web screen for live search? AND??

Is there something I am missing?

rageboi, are you living in england or in the US? :confused: On my iphone google only returns the pc version if i try searching with the toolbar. when i type Manchester i'm not getting a map or anything, just the pc version of google. even when i go to http://www.google.com it still only returns the pc page!!!!! :eek:
maybe it's different in the US and that's why you can't see it??

i tried live search out and it looks like it was built for the iphone so i guess that's the big news. :):) so far i like it, and speed seems to be faster too (probably because they're not loading a pc page??)

James

ex8886

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
I like it, works pretty good so far in the US. It's a nice alternative to Google. But what would be really great is you guys could make an actual App Store app, and integrate Messenger and Hotmail, similar to the Windows Live apps on WM phones.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I like it, works pretty good so far in the US. It's a nice alternative to Google. But what would be really great is you guys could make an actual App Store app, and integrate Messenger and Hotmail, similar to the Windows Live apps on WM phones.

Yeah, what he said^^^^^^^^^

gillianocconor

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
What a strange place for Microsoft to post a message!!! :confused:... I guess that's a good sign for McRumors!

Anyway just entered m.live.com on my iPhone3G and got the new Live Search experience. I never tried it before but I liked what I see. My default is google but it does look like it's the regular google site from my pc and not anything build for my iphone. Live Search looks better and the maps-news-images sections load super fast (even when my reception is bad).

+1 for the other posts - I want to use MSN/Windows Live Messenger on my iPhone!!!!!

--- gillian

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I've been playing around on this website for a while today and it doesn't hold a candle to the application that is found on cellphones running Win Mo. To me, this website seems clunky and isn't very user friendly. Yes, this isn't the real thing, we need a dedicated app. The application that is seen on Win Mo devices is very helpful and smooth - especially with the voice activation. I'm sure Apple would accept it into the app store. I have no problems with with Microsoft products. I use some of there software everyday.

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
rageboi, are you living in england or in the US? :confused: On my iphone google only returns the pc version if i try searching with the toolbar. when i type Manchester i'm not getting a map or anything, just the pc version of google. even when i go to http://www.google.com it still only returns the pc page!!!!! :eek:
maybe it's different in the US and that's why you can't see it??

i tried live search out and it looks like it was built for the iphone so i guess that's the big news. :):) so far i like it, and speed seems to be faster too (probably because they're not loading a pc page??)

Try switching the search engine from Google to Yahoo! on Safari. (You can do so by going to Settings --> Safari). The Yahoo! search result page is designed for the iPhone.

I've been using the Yahoo! search engine for a few weeks. Works very nicely.

ex8886

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
I've noticed that the Live Search web app is missing any integration of the cashback program (or I haven't noticed it). I really hope the MS guys are actually reading our suggestions and make a App Store app (that integrates the cashback program as well)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.