Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Hi everyone, I just got the new iPhone 4, having a bit of trouble. Mail never grabs anything from gmail unless I go into the program. Under preferences, Mail has Fetch new data set to Push, is there anything more I have to do?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Hi everyone, I just got the new iPhone 4, having a bit of trouble. Mail never grabs anything from gmail unless I go into the program. Under preferences, Mail has Fetch new data set to Push, is there anything more I have to do?

It seems like it's an issue on Gmail's end. When I woke up this morning I noticed that push for my Gmail account had suddenly stopped working on my 3GS (before this it had always worked properly). I also have to open Mail for it to download my emails now. Hopefully Google fixes whatever is causing the problem.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

have you set it up as a gmail exchange account rather than a normal gmail account? as normal gmail doesn't do push

2pak

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
I have setup my GMail account as Ms Exchange and set Fetch to Push - but I have to go into the Mail app to check for new mail - I don't get the Push Notification (i.e New Email) popup showing ?

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
OK
Oh good I thought I had something wrong with my phone.. I have been getting push from another account but my gmail hasn't been pushing either..

ivan300

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
My gmail active sync has been very flaky also. Sometimes it comes in instantly and other times it takes hours :S

Im also on 4.0.1 which is supposed to fix some exchange sync issues

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
have you set it up as a gmail exchange account rather than a normal gmail account? as normal gmail doesn't do push

I just clicked on the gmail option when it asked what type of account. Do you mean MS Exchange? I can't find gmail exchange anywhere on the iPhone 4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.