Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My 1.8 G5 tower is a beautiful well designed computer, almost a piece of art. It's too bad that it's about at the end of it's life and it's really too bad I can't stick new intel guts in it and update it with Snow Leopard.

Is that possible? (wishful thinking) ;)
Thanks!

I did find this thread from about a year to six months ago. I guess no... :(

donw35

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2010
Los Angeles
its a hackintosh

this is what I have done: dead PowerMac G5
replaced motherboard, cpu, memory, video card, power supply.
pm1case.jpg

its not hard to do and it was the only cost effective option for my G5. pictures taken before I installed the fans.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
this is what I have done: dead PowerMac G5
replaced motherboard, cpu, memory, video card, power supply.

its not hard to do and it was the only cost effective option for my G5. pictures taken before I installed the fans.

I would be cool to use the original case fans with a fan controller so they wouldn't run at take-off velocity all the time.

donw35

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2010
Los Angeles
I am working on just that, I have the original fans and will add the front ones back in. the back fans are to loud for me so I cut out the back for a 120mm fan

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What kind of a Mac are you guys building? What in the hardware tells the computer it's a Mac vs a PC, anything?
Thanks.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
if your thinking of making a hacking tosh outa that awesome dual G5, your nuts. Sell it to someone who can use it, then grab a dead G5 from ebay and depeneding on how thourough a job you wanna do, do a search on google for "hackingtosh inside G5 case" you find plenty to look at.

are you handy with a hacksaw? or dremel? if not, i wouldent not suggest this being the first box that your looking at modding, cos its quite invloved. Notice the previous poster has removed most of the back pane, and installed a normal pc backpane...

id suggest trying to build a hackingtosh- hardware only (outside of a case) first and then if you like it AND you can get it running, then go ahead with the build.

1o2

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
if your thinking of making a hacking tosh outa that awesome dual G5, your nuts. Sell it to someone who can use it, then grab a dead G5 from ebay and depeneding on how thourough a job you wanna do, do a search on google for "hackingtosh inside G5 case" you find plenty to look at.

are you handy with a hacksaw? or dremel? if not, i wouldent not suggest this being the first box that your looking at modding, cos its quite invloved. Notice the previous poster has removed most of the back pane, and installed a normal pc backpane...

id suggest trying to build a hackingtosh- hardware only (outside of a case) first and then if you like it AND you can get it running, then go ahead with the build.

I am very handy with tools. I will not Hack it out of my G5 Quad lol. of course i will get a dead to try. Im curious and want to try it.

donw35

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2010
Los Angeles
mine is setup to dual boot OS X and Windows 7, I have two 64GB SSD drives for each OS. For OS X I used Kakewalk boot with retail DVD bought from the Apple store.
Specs are.
Gigabyte Motherboard EP 45-UD3L
Intel CPU Q9400 OC 3.0Ghz quad core.
Memory 8GB 1066Mhz DDR2
Video GeForce 9800GT 512 ram
Two 64gb SSD drives
ASUS DVD burner

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
have you finish it successful? how does it running?

Can you list the materials in other to hackintosh. Because i want to try it.

Post more pictures of it if you can.

Take a look at the link in that post, I have a bunch of pictures of it. Basically I purchased a motherboard tray, cut out the back of the case to fit the mobo tray backing, then put the parts in. It was fairly simple, it just requires some measuring.

The hardest part was getting the power button and USB port on the front to work, that required some trial and error and wire soldering. But it works perfectly, is silent but stays cool with only the CPU fan, and runs StarCraft 2 like a boss.

I have 2 more G5's that I may also mod, probably each into i7 machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.