Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toxictaipan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Hello, everyone.

I was hearing some distortion in my iPod Touch's external speaker when the volume was up all the way. I did a Google search, and one suggestion was to do a "hard reset" by holding down the power button and the home button at the same time and that it might help. I have done this a few times before whenever my iPod would freeze up, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

Now whenever I turn it on I see the connect to iTunes screen. I won't have access to iTunes for a few days.

I'm not sure what's going on. I've done hard resets in the past and never experienced any problems. All I did was hold the home button and the power button until the device turned off, released both buttons, gave it a second, and turned it back on with just the power button. Could someone please explain what went wrong so I can avoid this situation in the future?

Also, is there any way for me to fix this from the iPod itself without iTunes? It's not really a big deal as long as everything goes back to normal when I connect to iTunes, but a solution for me to use while I don't have access to iTunes would be preferable.

Thanks for reading,
toxictaipan

Skyhigh223

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
A hard reset wipes everything, I'm sure.

Maybe you're thinking of a soft reset?

Anyway all you can do is wait until you can get back to your computer in a few days. :/

toxictaipan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
A hard reset wipes everything, I'm sure.

Maybe you're thinking of a soft reset?

Anyway all you can do is wait until you can get back to your computer in a few days. :/

Well, that's just what they called it. All I did was hold both the power button and the home button until the iPod turned off. Then I turned it back on normally by using just the power button. I've done some more reading, and I think I'm in recovery mode, but I'm not sure.

I guess I'll just have to wait until I can access iTunes, but since that won't be for a few days, if anyone has any other solutions, I would be most grateful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.