Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Would the smarter move be to buy a backup 160 GB Apple TV?

I ask because being able to buy music and other media was a good feature too.

You were also guaranteed a HD quality level whereas the streaming service will probably downgrade the quality if your connection is bad.

What do you think?

Is buying a 160 GB the actual smart move rather than the new Apple TV?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Really depends on personal needs. Personally, new model is not worth upgrading from my existing units, especially the one I use for the kid's playroom to which I sync all of their movies as my home network wireless signal is pretty weak so streaming doesn't work so well. We also like to load it up and take it with us on vacation--not possible with the new version.

In fact, followed your suggestion and picked up an extra gen one unit from the Apple Store--on clearance for $149.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Sure, especially if you have a sizable media collection already purchased. For example, I have 90GB+ of video, mostly purchased from iTunes over the years. Movies and TV shows. If I go with the new Apple TV, it's streaming from my laptop only. If I have my current Apple TV, they sit on its hard disk just fine.

Eventually I'll have to upgrade because hard disks fail sooner or later. But if you have a large collection you'd rather not stream all the time, the current version could be a good purchase to tide you over for a few years.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Sure, especially if you have a sizable media collection already purchased. For example, I have 90GB+ of video, mostly purchased from iTunes over the years. Movies and TV shows. If I go with the new Apple TV, it's streaming from my laptop only. If I have my current Apple TV, they sit on its hard disk just fine.

Eventually I'll have to upgrade because hard disks fail sooner or later. But if you have a large collection you'd rather not stream all the time, the current version could be a good purchase to tide you over for a few years.

Not only that but you will eventually have to upgrade when Apple finally releases the iTunes cloud stuff. Then all those purchases you make will just stream on demand any time instead of "rent only" like they are now. I suspect that is the biggest reason Apple ditched the hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.