Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
My step-son works for a company that uses a variety of computers in their test dept. and when they upgraded the test equipment they gave the old stuff to employees.

My step-son is a dyed-in-the-wool PC guy who doesn't care for Macs so when he saw a G5 PPC sitting there he took it home and gave it to me.

It's a 2.0 GHz dual-processor with 8x AGP video. I checked it out and the only thing "wrong" with it is that someone has set up the fans, all of them, to run full-speed all the time.

First, how did they most likely do that and, second, how can I return the fans to their normal operation. This can't be good for the computer and it's so loud and annoying that I'd rather use my G4.

It's a great computer otherwise, I hope they didn't do something permanent that would require a new motherboard, that's not in my budget.

Help me out here.

Jim

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
First, If the red light is on, ensure that the plastic air deflector is installed properly.

Press the reset button on the motherboard
-and-
Boot the machine and press Command + Option + P + r
-if that doesn't work-
Hold the power button down until you hear a long beep.
-if that doesn't work-
You'll need to calibrate the fans in Apple Service Diagnostic.
-if that doesn't work-
Your temperature sensor is busted, unplug the drive bay temperature sensor and reboot. Other than that, I think the only fix is a new motherboard.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
My step-son works for a company that uses a variety of computers in their test dept. and when they upgraded the test equipment they gave the old stuff to employees.

My step-son is a dyed-in-the-wool PC guy who doesn't care for Macs so when he saw a G5 PPC sitting there he took it home and gave it to me.

It's a 2.0 GHz dual-processor with 8x AGP video. I checked it out and the only thing "wrong" with it is that someone has set up the fans, all of them, to run full-speed all the time.

First, how did they most likely do that and, second, how can I return the fans to their normal operation. This can't be good for the computer and it's so loud and annoying that I'd rather use my G4.

It's a great computer otherwise, I hope they didn't do something permanent that would require a new motherboard, that's not in my budget.

Help me out here.

Jim

There is no way to set the speed of the fans on a G5. Check to see if there is a red light on on the motherboard itself is on like the poster above me said. There is a plastic, clear air deflector installed when you open the case, correct?

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Even if the deflector is in place you may still have it to blame. Take the deflector out (the gigantic piece of clear plastic inside the case) and look at the lower right-hand tab (on the bottom, slots into place). There SHOULD be a sticker there; this is what blocks the sensor and tells the machine that the case is assembled. If this sticker is missing, cover the tab on the machine facing site with some duct tape. Problem (possibly) solved. :)

ifrdavid

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
plastic cover fixed fans

impossible to believe this worked but many many thanks to disconap for the tip on the little "tape" on the bottom right tab of the plastic deflector. Somehow i had a cover that was missing this tape and putting a piece of duct tape there made the fans stop. Sometimes it is the little tings in life that matter.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Help me out here.

Jim

Either the plastic air deflector is not being detected as stated above or someone removed the CPUs for repairs or other reasons and forgot to recalibrate the fans in Apple Service Diagnostics.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
impossible to believe this worked but many many thanks to disconap for the tip on the little "tape" on the bottom right tab of the plastic deflector. Somehow i had a cover that was missing this tape and putting a piece of duct tape there made the fans stop. Sometimes it is the little tings in life that matter.

Great to hear its finally fixed

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013

Is there anything duct tape can't do?

Patth9

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
My G5's fan use to blare so loud I thought it was going to blow up. I was told to blow out the dust (carefully), and it worked. Apparently, the area that keeps track of raising and lowering the fans, were covered with dust. I think I posted this problem on this forum.

Patt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.