Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Whilst I am still playing the waiting game for the new touch, I would be interested to see some sample pics from different users.

kelving525

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
NYC
Original Size:

4975458996_38983997fc_o.jpg

2000ContourSVT

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
Wow that's a very nice picture. That just goes to show that megapixels don't make the photo, the photographer, lighting, etc. does.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The photos that I've seen come from the iPhone 4 have the same amount of noise, however the main advantage that the iPhone 4 cam has is the autofocus.

Absolute nonsense.

I'll happily post some unedited photos of my labradors in the garden, taken on my iPhone 4. There's no "noise" and the resolution and level of detail is superb.

Look, the iPod touch camera is inferior to that of the iPhone, everyone knows it, so don't make excuses to make your purchase (potential or current) more justified.

People need to stop trying to make the iPod touch 4G the iPhone 4.

Owen.C

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
It looks pretty poor, resolution is bad. But noise is awful and look at the chromatic aberration.

I don't want anything amazing, just something that takes pictures that don't look like a webcam shot.

Phil In Idaho

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
The iPod's still photos aren't bad for .7mp - they hold up well with other cell phone camera stills, but they aren't even close to the quality of the iPhone's 5mp stills. Its not just the missing 4 million pixels - its the lower dynamic range, sensor blooming, inferior lens, and image processing.

Its time to face facts, the iPod snaps are just passable, nothing more.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I was hoping this would be the only camera I need. I don't take photos now simply because I don't want to deal with lugging a camera around. Still, while I'm not that picky about quality, we'll have to see if these photos are up to par. Perhaps a jailbreak will open up better quality, or at least 1280x720 photos.

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
One thing I noticed, is that the picture looks better on the iPod than the monitor. I can see more blues in the sky and because it's scaled down, the quality looks more crisp.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
One thing I noticed, is that the picture looks better on the iPod than the monitor. I can see more blues in the sky and because it's scaled down, the quality looks more crisp.

Naturally. The smaller you scale it, the better quality it looks. True with movies, too. ;)

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
The pictures are fine. It wasn't meant to take pictures, otherwise they would have gone for that option. If it does and they are semi-decent quality, then it's good. The above pictures look fine IMO. My 3.2MP on my samsung phone sometimes takes good pictures and other times it looks horrible. Either way, I'd use the new touch mainly for HD video (of BMX, skating, etc etc). People need too stop complaining so much about the ipod touch. They aren't going to literally make it an iphone without the phone.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
here's a closeup shot, no zooming

That's the best I have seen so far, the camera seems to perform quite well with ideal lighting conditions but less than stellar in low light or even some mixed light situations.

Would be interesting to see 3 or 4 photos of the same subject using "tap to set exposure" on different light points to see what difference it makes.

Here are two more

4252ea94.jpg

Interesting that the keyboard on the shelf below is more focused than the remote, a good indication of the minimum focal length of the lens.

zippyzoom

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2009
Sample shots

Sample pics I took today. Perhaps it'll give you an idea for the quality of the Touch's pics.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg
[

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.