Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gogoplata

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
I'm sorry if this question is stupid in any way but I can't get Tiny Umbrella to work on my Macbook Pro.

I'm trying to use it to restore my Jailbroken iPhone4 but can't get around the port 80 issue. I have read the "readme" file but to a Mac beginner it seems a bit vague.

When I start up Tiny Umbrella I get this message:-

Something is wrong:
You don't have admin privileges or
You have something running on port 80 or
Your hosts file is not modifiable
Please check anti-virus........

When I start up TerminalI see:-

Last login: Sun Sep 12 11:30:12 on ttys000
unknown-60-33-4b-02-f0-c4:~ User$

I then copy and paste:- sudo lsof -i :80 | grep LISTEN

Then i'm propmted for my password. After I enter it, i see this:-

httpd 29 root 3u IPv6 0x0d8b8460 0t0 TCP *:http (LISTEN)
httpd 61 _www 3u IPv6 0x0d8b8460 0t0 TCP *:http (LISTEN)

Sorry if i'm missing something, but like I said i'm a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing.

Any help is massively appreciated.

mcommins

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
I'm not a newbie, and I've got the same problem.

I'm not a newbie, and I've got the same problem. This has been most unbelievable rabbit hole I've ever gotten into. All I want to do is resore 2 iPod touches to version 3.1.3. I tried to help a friend unlock a password-protected iPod, unwittlingly let Apple update that one and mine to 4.1, and now the batteries won't stay charged overnight.

I have been a longtime Mac user and Apple supporter, but no longer. This sucks.

Sorry I couldn't help.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Are you running TU from the .dmg image? or did you installed on your computer (copied the .app to your Application folder)

Are you the Root user on that machine or are you a "limited user".

TinyUmbrella need root access to do its things.

That seen to be your issue

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Instead of using tinyumbrella, try this technique that I did not invent and has been known to the jailbreak community for awhile, but I am now advocating because I feel it is easier for new users (hows that?):

Step 1: Make sure your SHSH are saved by opening Cydia, and looking at the top of the homescreen.

Step 2: Download firmware for your device. http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Step 3: Edit your hosts file to include this line:
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
On Windows: Open Notepad as an administrator. The hosts file is in windows\system32\drivers\etc\ The file does not have an extension, so change option to All Files to find it. For mac, go here: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7556

Step 4: Open itunes, click your iphone, hold shift (option for mac) and click restore. Find your firmware and perform the restore. If your hosts file was edited right, and your SHSH backed up, iTunes will receive authorization and proceed with restore.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Instead of using tinyumbrella, try this technique that I did not invent and has been known to the jailbreak community for awhile, but I am now advocating because I feel it is easier for new users (hows that?):

Step 1: Make sure your SHSH are saved by opening Cydia, and looking at the top of the homescreen.

Step 2: Download firmware for your device. http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Step 3: Edit your hosts file to include this line:
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
On Windows: Open Notepad as an administrator. The hosts file is in windows\system32\drivers\etc\ The file does not have an extension, so change option to All Files to find it. For mac, go here: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7556

Step 4: Open itunes, click your iphone, hold shift (option for mac) and click restore. Find your firmware and perform the restore. If your hosts file was edited right, and your SHSH backed up, iTunes will receive authorization and proceed with restore.

TU just replace Step3 on your guide, so you don't have to manually edit the host file and edit back. It also preserve your baseband if you are updating. Just an FYI

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
TU just replace Step3 on your guide, so you don't have to manually edit the host file and edit back. It also preserve your baseband if you are updating. Just an FYI

Yes but there are more steps involved with TU, and more chances of errors, as the OP encountered. I've had this debate many times on here, so not again, but I will say that this method has proven easier for most users.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes but there are more steps involved with TU, and more chances of errors, as the OP encountered. I've had this debate many times on here, so not again, but I will say that this method has proven easier for most users.

Don;t doubt that, i was just pointing what TU does and there are not more step, just 1 click "start TSS server", to me manually editing files is more pront to errors, but that's me ;)

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I then copy and paste:- sudo lsof -i :80 | grep LISTEN

Then i'm propmted for my password. After I enter it, i see this:-

httpd 29 root 3u IPv6 0x0d8b8460 0t0 TCP *:http (LISTEN)
httpd 61 _www 3u IPv6 0x0d8b8460 0t0 TCP *:http (LISTEN)

Seen to be web sharing, go to system preferences, sharing, turn off web sharing.

That should do the trick

mcommins

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
Are you running TU from the .dmg image? or did you installed on your computer (copied the .app to your Application folder)

Are you the Root user on that machine or are you a "limited user".

TinyUmbrella need root access to do its things.

That seen to be your issue

I installed to the Applications folder.

I am the root user.

UNDERD0G

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
TU port 80 issue Solved!

Seen to be web sharing, go to system preferences, sharing, turn off web sharing.

That should do the trick

Wow, I searched for 2 hours to figure this problem out! There are multiple forums where plp are going crazy trying to figure this out! *THANK YOU* so much for solving this issue with TU.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Wow, I searched for 2 hours to figure this problem out! There are multiple forums where plp are going crazy trying to figure this out! *THANK YOU* so much for solving this issue with TU.

No problem, Maybe the OP can modify the Title to make it easy to find. :cool:

sfaguy

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2008

That should do the trick

i turn off web sharing and it got rid of the port 80 issue. i launch tinyumbrella, connect my iPhone4, however, right underneath 'save my shsh' it still shows 'connect your device' as if it does not recognize my iphone has been connected.

i try disconnect and connect the USB cable a few times, still no luck. i know it's connected fine because itunes see the phone.

cjwj

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
Lydney, UK
TSS server problem

This is the message i get when i start TU:

"Cannot Start TSS service DO NOT TRY RESTORING YOUR DEVICE!!! /etc/hosts is not writable!"

I have had 2 iphone 4 handsets and when i received the first it was on 4.0.2 . so i downloaded TU and without any problem saved the ShSH. unfortunately this iphone was defective - kept dropping calls - so i got a replacement and that arrived with 4.0.1 but when i connected that to save its SHSH i got the message above.
I have a macbook pro running snow leopard and when i look for hosts in /etc file, there isn't a file with that exact name. There's :

hostconfig
hostconfig~orig
hosts.equiv

That seems to make it diffuclt to modify with read write permission!

Am i missing something?

Anyway if anyone can help it would be much appreciated

cjwj

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
This is the message i get when i start TU:

"Cannot Start TSS service DO NOT TRY RESTORING YOUR DEVICE!!! /etc/hosts is not writable!"

I have had 2 iphone 4 handsets and when i received the first it was on 4.0.2 . so i downloaded TU and without any problem saved the ShSH. unfortunately this iphone was defective - kept dropping calls - so i got a replacement and that arrived with 4.0.1 but when i connected that to save its SHSH i got the message above.
I have a macbook pro running snow leopard and when i look for hosts in /etc file, there isn't a file with that exact name. There's :

hostconfig
hostconfig~orig
hosts.equiv

That seems to make it diffuclt to modify with read write permission!

Am i missing something?

Anyway if anyone can help it would be much appreciated

cjwj

Your host file must have been accidently deleted it sits right between
hostconfig~orig and hosts.equiv.

I suggest you recreate it. Here is a copy.

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
#74.200.10.249 gs.apple.com

cjwj

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
Lydney, UK
Your host file must have been accidently deleted it sits right between
hostconfig~orig and hosts.equiv.

I suggest you recreate it. Here is a copy.

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
#74.200.10.249 gs.apple.com

Thanks nebo1ss
I had wondered why when i searched to see if anyone else had the problem, i didn't find anything at all!
One quick question though; i assume what you are telling me to do here is to create a file called hosts in my /etc/ folder and simply cut and paste in everything you have posted (in red) above.
Better to ask first - I don't want to screw up the rest of my system!
Thanks agian
cjwj

cjwj

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
Lydney, UK
TSS server problem

And i've just been doing a bit of surfing to see if there was a tutorial on creating a missing hosts file, and i have found mention of netinfo manager which lives in applications/utilities.
On my Mac, that's not there either!
Curiouser and curiouser.......
cjwj

cjwj

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
Lydney, UK
Ah ha.
I've solved the problem now, probably unconventionally, by copying a hosts file from another mac, amending it (with your info nebo1ss), and then putting it into my/etc file.
TU now works!
thanks
cjwj
ps and netinfo manager doesn't exist anymore in 10.6, so no mystery there.
I do wonder what happened to my original hosts file, though.
pps by the way, i've now got a hosts.umbrella file as well!

Last edited:

phoenixprophets

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
Solution

sorry to bring up an old thread but i had the same problem on the mac too but i managed to fix it
the issue was is that the hosts file was assigned a .txt extension when i removed the .txt and left it a blank hosts file tiny umbrella worked again i presume this would be the same solution on windows too...

PonyRazor

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
sorry to bring up an old thread but i had the same problem on the mac too but i managed to fix it
the issue was is that the hosts file was assigned a .txt extension when i removed the .txt and left it a blank hosts file tiny umbrella worked again i presume this would be the same solution on windows too...

Thanks Phoenix! I created an account with MacRumors just to thank you. You saved me a ton of trouble. Stinking .txt!

trycrackingthis

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
Great Tip

I just opened up an account too, just to say thanks....great info, found it nowhere else and saved me much trouble...
For those who cannot edit the host file due to insufficient privileges and don´t want to use terminal....you can do the following:
move/copy the hosts file to another folder, there open it with textedit and save it again without the suffix .txt (there is an option on the lower half of the "save as" window), then move /overwrite the file back to the original /etc folder....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.