Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I want to track another iPhone live. Is it possible to install Apple's own iPhone tracker on someone's iPhone and follow the phone online if I know the login info etc?

What 3rd party apps can do this? I've searched iTunes but they all require the person with the iPhone to send an email first.

I guess as long as that tracking is activated and is permanent I could use one of those apps since I have access to the phone and could send an email to myself to get permission from that iPhone.

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
What...a...creep! Are you one of those people who can't trust their significant other? Why are you trying to be so secretive about it?

Anyway, AT&T has a service that can track people like that. If that fails, search through your city's sex offender registry and contact one of them as they would surely have some great advice for you in those terms.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Find my iPhone is the official app for using the MobileMe service to find iOS devices that are on a MobileMe account.

So yeah, if they are using MobileMe with Find My iPhone enabled, and you have their login/password, just download the app on your iPhone and start tracking.

You can't do this unless they have it enabled and use MobileMe. If you are trying to do this without their permission than you are really being creepy and doing something potentially illegal (if you got their password without their permission).

iEs

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Safari
What...a...creep! Are you one of those people who can't trust their significant other? Why are you trying to be so secretive about it?

Anyway, AT&T has a service that can track people like that. If that fails, search through your city's sex offender registry and contact one of them as they would surely have some great advice for you in those terms.

LOL well said ^^

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
how so? if he thinks his wife is cheating, whats wrong with a little spying. he is better of finding out than being left in the dark. Granted, if he cant trust her, maybe they shouldnt be together in the first place. But thats for him to decide.

FotoPhocus

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
He never said it was a significant other. What if it was his teenage kid, and he just wants to be able to see where they are?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Easiest is Apple's MobileME "Find my iPhone" app.

The beauty of it is you use one mobile me account on all your iPhone and track multiple iphones at the same time. So you don't need to sign up for a family plan.

I put "mobile me" on my phone and my wife's. Not really tracking her. But she loses her phone in between the couch, under the bed, the dog might have hid the phone or the kid hid the phone. And the phone is on silent/vibrant most of the time.

So find my iphone rings your phone even while on silent/vibrant mode. That's the most useful feature of this app for my wife.

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
He never said it was a significant other. What if it was his teenage kid, and he just wants to be able to see where they are?

Surely if he was a parent, he wouldn't have to be so sneaky about it. Unless of course, he has failed at parenting and has no control over his kids and doesn't know how to use any other form of discipline around the house such as...oh, cutting them off of the phone bill and taking away their phone altogether. Or setting limits on curfews and when they had to be home, as well as what time they needed to chime in and call back to the house. Hell, there really is no need to be sneaky with kids anyway. Just grab their phone from them and say, "Look here you little (exploitive). I pay the bill and spoiled the (exploitive) outta you by buying you an iPhone anyway. So I'm putting a GPS tracker on your phone whether you like it or not so you can't lie to me, because I always think that you never tell the truth."

It wouldn't surprise me anyway to be honest. Parents are too soft nowadays. And if it were his girlfriend or something, he would need consent. Otherwise he'd be another insecure creep pulling an illegal stunt.

However, it's legal to track something that you own (i.e., a car/phone you pay for). Otherwise, it is not legal to track anything you don't own without consent first. And no, you don't own your girlfriend.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The Best is MobileMe!
Others you could use: AT&T monthly one, PlaceTracker (jb-cydia app) or Latitudie (app store)

jluce50

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008
Surely if he was a parent, he wouldn't have to be so sneaky about it. Unless of course, he has failed at parenting and has no control over his kids and doesn't know how to use any other form of discipline around the house such as...oh, cutting them off of the phone bill and taking away their phone altogether.

LOL! Spoken like someone who doesn't have kids!! People without kids always have the best parenting advice. It never fails... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.