Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
I recently took my wife's jailbroken / unlocked 1st gen 8GB iPhone that was still at firmware 1.4. Got it up to the latest 3.X, removed prepaid card sim (was out of minutes, no need for phone use) and started installing apps. I've been playing with this thing like crazy for the past 3 months.

Decided I like it so much I would spring for the 4th Gen iPod Touch. What A Difference. I'm not sure if the 1st Gen iPhone is more like the 1st or 2nd gen Touch, but I cannot believe in hindsight just how SLOW that thing was. Games would take a very long time to load, and even simple games like Angry Birds would stutter at times.

Biggest change for me is definitely load times. Everything just seems to open, nearly instantly. Games, programs, and best of all constant on WiFi. Not only instant on, but pages just load up at least twice as fast as on the iphone.

I was expecting a bit more from the "retina" display, but I assume the games I am playing are not written to take advantage of the extra resolution. Web pages in Safari look MUCH, MUCH better though, so I know eventually the programmers will catch up with the technology. Other big love is having everything on it as I went from an 8GB to a 64GB, and I only have 10GB free after loading every song I have in iTunes.

No problems with battery life (2 days of playing with it a lot, wifi always on, and only now getting into the charger), nor light leakage. I was very concerned about the back getting scratched so I put on a Bestskinsever skin and I am waiting for my cheap Silicone China case to come in.

Only complaint is I do feel that it is actually too thin for my big hands. I'm sure I'm a minority, but I actually prefer holding my 1st gen iPhone. Both fit easily enough in a pocket.

That's all, I know there have been lots of reviews, but I believe I am the only one jumping from a 1st gen iPhone. Peace out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.