Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I see the port on ATV's but I am not sure exactly what this is for and what is the benefit?

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
You would use it if you have an audio receiver that doesn't have an Hdmi input, so you would route the optical to the receiver, and then the Hdmi from the apple tv to your tv for picture.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Is there a benefit over using hdmi, aside from not being capable of sending hd audio to a receiver? (even though the apple tv wouldn't play hd audio anyway)

If you have a receiver with HDMI inputs, then it is easier to use that. Less cable clutter. If you are like me and have a 5.1 receiver with no HDMI, then optical audio to the receiver and HDMI to the television is the way to go.

cwaddell2002

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
You are transmitting data, not audio. HDMI and optical will send the same information to your receiver.

Actually, thats not quite true. HDMI has the ability send 8 channels of uncompressed bit-streamed audio to a receiver or other device. Optical audio only has the capacity for 2 channels of uncompressed audio... now, wait wait, what about Dolby Digital 5.1? Well thats a compressed audio package, and optical has been updated to accommodate it, but HDMI has the capacity to carry higher resolution audio signals. In regards to the ATV, to my knowledge, DD 5.1 is the highest resolution surround format supported, but I could be wrong. However, lets be clear that while the ATV will send the same data over HDMI and optical, with its current software, the HDMI port has the capability to pass much higher resolution audio - which could come in the form of a software update sometime in the future...

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Make sure your HDMI equipped receiver will split off the audio from the input instead of simply passing it through to the TV.

Cheaper receivers actually require you to take the audio from the TV, as follows: Blu-ray-HDMI-Receiver-HDMI-TV-Optical or RCA-receiver. This really defeats the simplicity of the HDMI cabling system. With gaming, this wiring scheme can create sufficient delay to throw off some fast paced games.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Actually, thats not quite true. HDMI has the ability send 8 channels of uncompressed bit-streamed audio to a receiver or other device. Optical audio only has the capacity for 2 channels of uncompressed audio... now, wait wait, what about Dolby Digital 5.1? Well thats a compressed audio package, and optical has been updated to accommodate it, but HDMI has the capacity to carry higher resolution audio signals. In regards to the ATV, to my knowledge, DD 5.1 is the highest resolution surround format supported, but I could be wrong. However, lets be clear that while the ATV will send the same data over HDMI and optical, with its current software, the HDMI port has the capability to pass much higher resolution audio - which could come in the form of a software update sometime in the future...

This is the true answer. The inclusion of optical is just a backwards compatibility thing for people without an HDMI capable receiver. I don't see Apple taking on more than DD 5.1 anytime soon though, it took them long enough just to add support for that. But anyone who says optical is better than HDMI for audio is dead wrong (even though in the case of the Apple TV they are equal in capability at the moment).

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I went and bought a new receiver because I was getting more and more items to plug in, got it home only to find the HDMI inputs on the back are pass through only meaning that it doesn't leave the sound with the receiver and send the picture to the TV. I run optic for my appleTV, my PS3 and My Foxtel and then run HDMI direct to the TV for all three items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.