Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I know it's not an iphone, but the kindle has unlimited 3g for free once you buy the product.

Would it be possible to "channel" this 3d (tether it) to your computer? If the 3g access is there, is it impossible to harness it and use it with your computer?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My guess is the kindle would have to be hacked to provide something like that.

Some people have already tried, the 3G connection of the kindel is not really a fully 3G connection it is just a Pipe from a big pool that goes to a proxy to only allow some traffic and some sites. All this is done at the server level, even you "Jailbreak" the kindel, there is nothing you can do with that connection.

Note: all those efforts were made on the original model, maybe stuff have change for the latest model, but i don't think so considering that it is not a monthly fee for it.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Not currently possible. Frankly I hope it never is, as that will be the point Amazon is forced to charge legitimate users for it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Interesting.
I noticed they don't charge for data for it.

Some people have already tried, the 3G connection of the kindel is not really a fully 3G connection it is just a Pipe from a big pool that goes to a proxy to only allow some traffic and some sites. All this is done at the server level, even you "Jailbreak" the kindel, there is nothing you can do with that connection.

Note: all those efforts were made on the original model, maybe stuff have change for the latest model, but i don't think so considering that it is not a monthly fee for it.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Interesting.
I noticed they don't charge for data for it.

No point in it right now, most users aren't heavy data consumers on it. It's not exactly the best surfing device out there. Black and white, relatively slow. I love mine--and it is hacked for a few tweaks--but if I need web access for anything beyond downloading books, I grab the iPhone or iPad. In 18 months, I think I've used the web twice on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.