Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Ok, i just got my iPad even though i initially did not contemplate getting one.but the deal SAS good so i went ahead.
Now, I am an avid Aperture user and I have to say, the way Aperture 3,iTunes and the iPad integrate, I am hard pressed to find another solution to simply take a selection of photos with me if i need to see clients or even just on family trips - visiting family and showing photos. <shameless ad> I wrote a short article about the nice automation and sync capabilities with this duo and how it just works http://go-dslr.com/tutorials/the-apple-ipad-and-aperture-3-the-perfect-marriage-in-your-workflow </shameless ad> and I am wondering how other people are using their iPad in this capacity. Also one more question: does this integration also work with light room?
Cheers
//flosseR

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I use Aperture and my iPad in the same way, it's a great way to show photos.

As for Lightroom it could work, but it would require more work. You can sync a folder via iTunes so if you put organize your photos via the Finder you could sync an one folder over.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
I have synced an Aperture album like the link (starter thread) had described, it works very well, and I definitely get the "oooo" and "ahhs" from people. Do you have the camera connection kit? With a card reader connected to the CCK, does the iPad handle the D700 raw images well? I guess I will find out tomorrow. :)

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
I somehow doubt it because the ipad only handles JPG (it exports and converts from Aperture into JPGs)

I guess that camera connection kit is meant for the more... consumer cameras since it supports SD cards and not CF AFAIK.

//F

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
The camera connector kit will enable you to download raw files. In addition as the kit includes a USB connector you can plug in your camera directly, or as I do, plug in a USB card reader. I use a multi-format card reader and do not have any problems with CF.

arnop

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Paris, France
The camera connector kit will enable you to download raw files. In addition as the kit includes a USB connector you can plug in your camera directly, or as I do, plug in a USB card reader. I use a multi-format card reader and do not have any problems with CF.

Thanks for the tip !

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north

ditto thanks for clearing this out.. and AFAIK the iPAD-> Aperture 3 sync will also work...
Cool..

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Ummm... Well... You can use the iPad to view a few photos and albums from your Aperture library, yeah.

Personally, i think the whole Photos app needs a massive upgrade on the iPad to be useful. For example, i'd like to be able to sync only my 4* and 5* photos from every Aperture Project to my iPad, and keep them within their respective projects. The only way to do that at the moment is to make a new Album in Aperture for every project, with a rule to only select the 4*+ photos - waaaay too much like hard work.

It also has a lot of untapped potential in the other direction too. Currently i can import photos to the iPad from my camera, and from there into Aperture, which is nice. But would be so much better if i could sort them into Projects, give them star ratings and keywords *before* i move them across to Aperture. And ideally be able to update the ratings / comments / keywords on any photo on my iPad that is synced with Aperture, that will be reflected back in Aperture next time I connect (or via MobileMe).

So much potential, but little more than a gimmick st the moment - if only they hadn't spent so much time on the Faces and Places features on the iPad it could have had some basic editing functionality instead.

Here's hoping for an update... One day... Maybe! :(

David

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Will be picking up the CCK tonight. Since the raw files can be transferred and back up, will the raw files be displayed as a picture as well on the iPad? I only shoot raw (not raw+jpeg), but if i remember, someone mentioned that raw-only files also contain a jpeg already. Well, I will find out tonight. :)

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Will be picking up the CCK tonight. Since the raw files can be transferred and back up, will the raw files be displayed as a picture as well on the iPad? I only shoot raw (not raw+jpeg), but if i remember, someone mentioned that raw-only files also contain a jpeg already. Well, I will find out tonight. :)

... so, do they?

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
as a portfolio, or for client proofs...

I had used mine both for client proofs and an informal portfolio. I have screenshots of ads, PDFs and flip-books of publications, etc., works great.

I noticed there is a new portfolio creation/display app called MediaPad Pro that just came out, anyone use it yet? At $15 it could be cheap and great, or a piece of...

Does anyone else wish they made app demos? I would probably buy more than I have, but got tired of throwing away money on crap (that goes for software too, but at least one can find demos for them).

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Yeps i tested this as well. Only problem is the CF card reader.. haven't checked yet if I can import straight from camera, will do that soon as well..

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Well, I have the iPad. Now I am going to get myself a camera connection kit and get snapping.

Ideally, I want to take my iPad out with my, upload the RAW (+JPEG?) files to it, view them, bin ones I don't want, and then connect the iPad to my Mac and put the photos I want onto the computer.

At the moment, I tend to just download the entire contents of my CF card onto my MBP and then never think about it again.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Well, I have the iPad. Now I am going to get myself a camera connection kit and get snapping.

Ideally, I want to take my iPad out with my, upload the RAW (+JPEG?) files to it, view them, bin ones I don't want, and then connect the iPad to my Mac and put the photos I want onto the computer.

At the moment, I tend to just download the entire contents of my CF card onto my MBP and then never think about it again.

Deleting photos directly from the iPad is a bit of an issue at this moment. You can find Delete buttons, but they don'e work universally. I have been able to delete saved photos that I download from the net for use as a Lock screen and such, but editing out the photos I sync with A3 seems to not work. The upcoming iOS upgrade is supposed to fix things like that.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
A read only version of Aperture would be nice. Something which you could tag, rate, edit captions and create slideshows from. Edit everything else aside from the actual images. Allowing me to import all the jpeg versions of images from library, make the amendments and then can sync back to the aperture library later, like with iTunes.

I would love to export my images to the iPad to then work in the aforementioned way while on the go.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Deleting photos directly from the iPad is a bit of an issue at this moment. You can find Delete buttons, but they don'e work universally. I have been able to delete saved photos that I download from the net for use as a Lock screen and such, but editing out the photos I sync with A3 seems to not work. The upcoming iOS upgrade is supposed to fix things like that.

Ah, I meant specifically loading the photos to the iPad via the camera connection kit, and then from the iPad's camera roll into Aperture.

Xjf27

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2012
iPad + CCK + USB hub + CF card reader + portable HDD

The CCK will import Nikon D700 NEF(raw) files to iPad(using a CF card reader through the USB then into the CCK), and the photos (embedded jpegs) are displayed in Photos as well. And then the NEF photos stored on the iPad can then be imported to Aperture 3 with ease.

Glad to hear it was a success.

One of the limitations of the iPad that concerns a lot of photographers is the very limited disc space. I shoot 200GB weddings and 64GB just won't work for a team of 3 shooters. I was wondering if the CCK would work with the a USB hub + CF card reader + portable HDD. I'm imagining this is a pretty solid, streamlined and portable storage rig for event photography where it's all about mobility and weight.

Are you able to rate your photos in your iPad and import these accordingly to the mothership with your Aperture 3.

Thank you and have a great day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.