Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VwTdi09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2009
I'm currently looking for a bootcamp-style class for Objective-C or Cocoa, preferably in the New York area but I will consider anywhere in the continental US.

It looks like the Big Nerd Ranch isn't offering the Cocoa I class anytime soon, so some alternative would be nice. I would be interested to hear if anyone has experience going to any of these classes.

Just got word from the boss that he might need me to help out with some Objective-C projects and I need something to get me up to speed quickly.

As far as background goes, I'm currently a C programmer at the firmware level and have little experience with OOP. I've messed around with it a little on my own but no professional experience.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions besides a crash-course, I'm all ears :)

VwTdi09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Not sure about any classes, but since you already know C, you may want to pick up Programming in Objective-C 2.0 and start with that. Then when you're comfortable with the language, Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X.

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate. I actually own both those books already. They are very well written and have a ton of information but I need the structure of an actual class. I've tried the whole self-paced thing and things go smoothly for about a week then life gets in the way.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate. I actually own both those books already. They are very well written and have a ton of information but I need the structure of an actual class. I've tried the whole self-paced thing and things go smoothly for about a week then life gets in the way.

Big Nerd Ranch is probably the only place short of going to university that teaches cocoa.

dbendixen

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Not sure about any classes, but since you already know C, you may want to pick up Programming in Objective-C 2.0 and start with that.

Is that book too advanced for someone who just "learned" C? I'm about to finish my second beginner book on C, and I want to jump into Objective-C, but didn't know where to start. I've heard mixed reviews on Apress's Learn Objective-C on the Mac, so I want to stay away from that one if possible.

dbendixen

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
No, it's not. In fact, it assumes no prior programming experience. So, having just learned C should not be a problem; in fact, it'll be an advantage. :)

Good to know. Thanks for the info. Just looked on Amazon and I really want to pick up the book--BUT the 3rd Edition is coming out in Feb... Don't want to wait, but the newer version would be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.