Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igotamacboook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
hello
i've got a problem,
all the items/icons on the top right hand corner of my macbook pro are missing
i don't know what happend
and i now want to switch to my other account and i'm unable to do so because of this incident

does any one know how to solve this?

i already tried to download butler two times-- i thought maybe i could use that to switch over but butler isn't responding despite having been successfully downloaded.

thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Which exact Mac OS X version do you have?
And what have you done short before the missing icons happened?

Btw, you mean the icons in the Menu Bar on top, don't you? If so, have you taken a look at System Preferences > Time & Date or Bluetooth or Network or Accounts and see, if you can bring the icons back?

Can you maybe post a screenshot? (Shift + Command + 3 > Preview > Crop (Command + K))

igotamacboook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Which exact Mac OS X version do you have?
And what have you done short before the missing icons happened?

Btw, you mean the icons in the Menu Bar on top, don't you? If so, have you taken a look at System Preferences > Time & Date or Bluetooth or Network or Accounts and see, if you can bring the icons back?

Can you maybe post a screenshot? (Shift + Command + 3 > Preview > Crop (Command + K))

i have gone to that section but how do you bring em back?
there's like nothing up there anymore; no account icon/date/clock/network/battery... nothing

it is a macbook pro 10.4.11
and i'm not sure what i did that caused this

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
A couple of examples:

Clock
  • Go to System Preferences
  • Go to Date & Time
  • Go to the Clock tab
  • There is a checkbox next to Show the date and time put a checkmark in it.
  • Under that are options for where and how the clock appears set them as you like.

Fast User Switching
  • Go to System Preferences
  • Go to Accounts
  • Click on Login Options at the bottom of the list of users. If Login Options are dimmed out, click the lock icon and type the administrator name and password.
  • There is a checkbox next to Enable fast user switching put a checkmark in it.
I don't have the other options that you're using as I'm on a desktop iMac but in the System Preferences for those other items, you should have an option to check or un-check for show in menu bar or wording to that effect. HTH

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras

Go there ^

Double-click the ones you want.

Get rid of one: Command-drag, release

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.