Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
I am still running my dual 1.25 ghz, MDD G4 and will be moving to an Intel Mac when I can afford it. I am considering buying a new printer that can work with my G4, and also with the Intel unit.

What are your recommendations for good, monochrome laser printers, and what do I need to know to make it work with either computer I mention?

Thank you.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I am still running my dual 1.25 ghz, MDD G4 and will be moving to an Intel Mac when I can afford it. I am considering buying a new printer that can work with my G4, and also with the Intel unit.
What are your recommendations for good, monochrome laser printers, and what do I need to know to make it work with either computer I mention?"

I have a Brother monochrome laser printer w/Ethernet (couple of years' old).

Works fine with my white Intel iMac, my g4/MDD (in both 10.4 and Classic), my MacBook Pro, etc.

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
"I am still running my dual 1.25 ghz, MDD G4 and will be moving to an Intel Mac when I can afford it. I am considering buying a new printer that can work with my G4, and also with the Intel unit.
What are your recommendations for good, monochrome laser printers, and what do I need to know to make it work with either computer I mention?"

I have a Brother monochrome laser printer w/Ethernet (couple of years' old).

Works fine with my white Intel iMac, my g4/MDD (in both 10.4 and Classic), my MacBook Pro, etc.

I am about to reveal how little I know about this stuff, but... how do you connect your computer to internet and the printer via one ethernet port?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"how do you connect your computer to internet and the printer via one ethernet port?"

The computers and printer are plugged into a 4-port "wired" router. I use an older Belkin router (you can probably find these for $20 or less) from "before the wireless days".

It's possible that new laser printers also have wireless networking built right into them. In that case all you'd need is a wireless router.

The Brother laser I have also has a USB port for that method of connection.

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
"how do you connect your computer to internet and the printer via one ethernet port?"

The computers and printer are plugged into a 4-port "wired" router. I use an older Belkin router (you can probably find these for $20 or less) from "before the wireless days".

It's possible that new laser printers also have wireless networking built right into them. In that case all you'd need is a wireless router.

The Brother laser I have also has a USB port for that method of connection.

Sitting right next to my computer is Netgear router, and it also happens to have wireless capability. I don't run this computer on a wireless connection, but have it for friends when they come over with laptops.

I looked at the printer and it does not have an ethernet connection. It has USB and parallel cable connections. I am guessing the parallel cable is an older method?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.