Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toddngina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
All I'm trying to do is get the 720P video I shot on my iPhone and edited in iMovie to be playable on my Apple TV in 720p. Can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. Use the "share" options in iMovie, and the 720p doesn't list the ATV as one of the compatible devices, but it will work on the iPhone! Tried exporting via Quicktime in iMovie, no go, still got reduced to 540p. Anyone?...

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
All I'm trying to do is get the 720P video I shot on my iPhone and edited in iMovie to be playable on my Apple TV in 720p. Can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. Use the "share" options in iMovie, and the 720p doesn't list the ATV as one of the compatible devices, but it will work on the iPhone! Tried exporting via Quicktime in iMovie, no go, still got reduced to 540p. Anyone?...

You need to click on "Share > Export Movie..." to get the 720p option. The ATV is not showing as compatible for 720p because it's referring to the old ATV and the old one can't handle the iPhone's 720p/30 video. If you have the new one you should be good to go. You still need to import it to your iTunes library though. I heard that the new iMovie 11 now gives you a 720p option for "Share > iTunes" but I don't have that one and can't verify it.

It's worth mentioning the iTunes 10.1 update now gives you the option to share videos directly from iPhoto to the new Apple TV with Home Sharing enabled.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.