Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TDHXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
i just got my new imac (21.5" i5) and downloaded steam, dragged the file into the applications folder and it starts the first update (downloading ~34mb), it reaches 24 and then fails with a 'steam needs to be online to update' message, clicking ok closes the app and i get nowhere!

i have tried this three times each failed, i had steam installed on my old iMac (27" i7)with no worries.

any one know whats up?

i've emailed steam support but their only suggestion is to reinstall steam (but i can't install it in the first place. :mad: )

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
Tried restarting the computer and/or router? Sounds like a network issue.

TDHXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Yeah, tried that, I've been trying to get it to install for the last 2-3 weeks. :(

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
Delete Stream prefs and application support etc and see if that works.

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
It might... if I had those files to begin with. :(

They should be created the first time you launch the app and it goes into self update. If they aren't created you have a permission problem on your machine.

Quickly try creating a new admin account and installing it there.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
does sound like a permission's issue, open up "disk utility" and click "repair disk permissions" see if that fixes it...

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
PM "rbarris" here on the forums. He is busy, but a good guy and if anyone can solve the problem it would be him.

BUT I would exhaust all other options first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.