Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tinam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
I've been working on a wordpress site and the folder is under applications, however when I went to open it today, I can't find the folder? There is one under my user name, but it is empty, is that were it should be? (never paid attention to where I accessed it from) There is one in "Macintosh" under "Devices", but I'm sure the one I was using was somewhere else since I can no longer log onto my wordpress. Where SHOULD the folder be? and can I copy the one from "Macintosh" to that location? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The main applications folder is at the root (or base) level. From the Finder sidebar on the left choose your machine at the top. From there you should see the Applications folder. You can also drag it to your sidebar for quick access.

tinam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
Thank you for the quick replies!

When I set up my wordpress, I wrote me a note as to where to find it: applications>wordpress>apps> etc. However, I did not put where the applications folder was, I'm guessing it was in plain site. Now there is an applications folder under my user name, but the folder is empty. When I try to log onto worpress, the folder can not be found, so I need to put it back to were it was. Should there be one directly under "places" or under my user name" I tried coping the empty folder to both places and then copied just the wordpress folder hoping that would solve the linkage problem, but neither worked. I'm at my wits end!

I love my Mac, but I really wish it had a "restore systems" like my old PC.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thank you for the quick replies!

When I set up my wordpress, I wrote me a note as to where to find it: applications>wordpress>apps> etc. However, I did not put where the applications folder was, I'm guessing it was in plain site. Now there is an applications folder under my user name, but the folder is empty. When I try to log onto worpress, the folder can not be found, so I need to put it back to were it was. Should there be one directly under "places" or under my user name" I tried coping the empty folder to both places and then copied just the wordpress folder hoping that would solve the linkage problem, but neither worked. I'm at my wits end!

Okay, Finder is the place to browse your computer, the Sidebar (on the left with Devices, Places and Search) is a place to put aliases (shortcuts) into, they aren't actually places to store data, only to put aliases into to have faster access to files and folder.
The Applications folder inside your Home Director (user folder - Macintosh HD / Users / YourUserName /) is put there by some other application, maybe Adobe something or another application.
The standard Applications folder is located under Macintosh HD / and should not be moved from there, to keep the system clean.

In Finder's Sidebar the Application's folder alias is normally placed under the Places section, below the Desktop and Home Directory shortcut.
finder-sidebar.png

You can put the alias back via dragging the Applications folder, as explained in the link I gave you.

If you can't find something, maybe use Spotlight (CMD+SPACEBAR or Menu Bar >>>
screenshotkrg.jpg
).
To find hidden or system files: http://lifehacker.com/5711409/how-to-search-for-hidden-packaged-and-system-files-in-os-x

I love my Mac, but I really wish it had a "restore systems" like my old PC.
Time Machine.

tinam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
The standard Applications folder is located under Macintosh HD / and should not be moved from there, to keep the system clean.
From the link you posted it says to drag and drop the folder to places, as in your pic, but above you say not to do that. I'm confused- and afraid I'll REALLY mess things up!

In Finder's Sidebar the Application's folder alias is normally placed under the Places section, below the Desktop and Home Directory shortcut.
I think this answers my question, but shouldn't I be able to get to the link by putting the folder there with the wordpress folder inside? Maybe a broken link is not the problem? Maybe I did something else to cause the problem.

You can put the alias back via dragging the Applications folder, as explained in the link I gave you.
So is it ok to drag and drop the application folder to the "places"?

Time Machine.
Is this something you need to install? I'm assuming it's not something I can use after the fact, but I would help in the future if I have this problem again?

Thanks again for your help.

tinam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
OH, I just remembered something! When I saw that the application folder was empty, I noticed I had an application folder in my dock. I draged it to the where I thought it should be, under my user name, but it dinged and disappeared. Can I drag and drop it back there? Since I had the problem loging in before I noticed this, it probably won't work, but it's worth a try!

Well, that didn't work. :(

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
From the link you posted it says to drag and drop the folder to places, as in your pic, but above you say not to do that. I'm confused- and afraid I'll REALLY mess things up!
Sorry for the confusion.
You should not move (via drag and drop) the applications folder to another location, like Macintosh HD / Users / YourUserName / for example.
The Sidebar (Device, Places and Search) are not actual locations like in the sense, that they (files and folders) reside there, it is a place to hold aliases of actual files and folders.
When you drag a file or folder (like the original and standard Applications folder for instance) to the Sidebar under Places, the folder or file will not be moved to a different location, it will stay where it is. The Sidebar is just a place to hold aliases.

I think this answers my question, but shouldn't I be able to get to the link by putting the folder there with the wordpress folder inside? Maybe a broken link is not the problem? Maybe I did something else to cause the problem.
Does that mean, you can use the actual Wordpress application, but the document you worked on, is gone?

So is it ok to drag and drop the application folder to the "places"?
Yes.

Is this something you need to install? I'm assuming it's not something I can use after the fact, but I would help in the future if I have this problem again?
No, Time Machine comes with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and 10.6 Snow Leopard. You just need an external HDD and go to System Preferences > Time Machine and select that external HDD to be used as backup.
http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/FAQ.html

Thanks again for your help.
No problem.

OH, I just remembered something! When I saw that the application folder was empty, I noticed I had an application folder in my dock. I draged it to the where I thought it should be, under my user name, but it dinged and disappeared. Can I drag and drop it back there? Since I had the problem loging in before I noticed this, it probably won't work, but it's worth a try!

You dragged another alias of the Applications folder from the Dock this time. To get it back, use the same method as with the Sidebar, but drag the folder to the right side of the Dock separator.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2474

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9848667/"

tinam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
Well, I am learning a lot about Macs today. :)

No, I cannot use wordpress at all, this is the message I'm getting:
Safari can’t connect to the server “localhost”.

I was using it this morning, but restarted my computer (I can't remember why, something was moving slow or something) and now I can't get it back, just keep getting the above message.

So would I be able to use Time Machine to get back to yesterday? Nevermind - found the answer.

Last edited:

tinam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
Well, after spending three hours trying to fix the problem, I decided to delete everything and start fresh. Thanks again for your help!

Happy Holidays!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.