Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
It would make sense, wouldn't it? Hasn't Apple done this before?

The 20" iMac is $1900. For almost $2000, it's ludicrous that the machine comes with a FX5200 card, 64 MB of video RAM, and 4X Superdrive.

I think it would make sense for Apple to leave the 17" models for a while longer and slightly upgrade the 20". I would surely buy it then.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
dferigmu said:
It would make sense, wouldn't it? Hasn't Apple done this before?

The 20" iMac is $1900. For almost $2000, it's ludicrous that the machine comes with a FX5200 card, 64 MB of video RAM, and 4X Superdrive.

I think it would make sense for Apple to leave the 17" models for a while longer and slightly upgrade the 20". I would surely buy it then.

its going to be awhile. i would avoid buying apple rev A products anyway. their track record hasn't been that great. i think there is a fan issue with the new imac's. the 20 in ones that we have at school always seem to have their fans on. maybe its just me...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Officially MacRumors is neutral about the purchase of a iMac G5.

Product:
iMac

Last Release:
August 31, 2004

Days Since Update:
150 (Average = 193)

Recommendation:
Neutral - Mid product cycle

It's possible that an update could occur around the WWDC. I would be afraid to purchase an iMac now. AppleCare would fix any problems that would occur. You could also think about a refurb, that could save you $200.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
I havent noticed any major problems with the iMac G5. I think its actually pretty safe to buy the iMac.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
wdlove said:
Officially MacRumors is neutral about the purchase of a iMac G5.

Product:
iMac

Last Release:
August 31, 2004

Days Since Update:
150 (Average = 193)

Recommendation:
Neutral - Mid product cycle

It's possible that an update could occur around the WWDC. I would be afraid to purchase an iMac now. AppleCare would fix any problems that would occur. You could also think about a refurb, that could save you $200.

I think it will be updated before, since an updated iMac isn't something really exiting that would happen at a convention. When is WWDC BTW?

Also, I was originally asking if only the 20" would be upgraded before the other models. Hasn’t Apple done that kind of thing before? Just update the top-of-the-line?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
dferigmu said:
I think it will be updated before, since an updated iMac isn't something really exiting that would happen at a convention. When is WWDC BTW?

Also, I was originally asking if only the 20" would be upgraded before the other models. Hasn’t Apple done that kind of thing before? Just update the top-of-the-line?

Dunno what the track record for that kind of update is, but I am goign to venture a guess at no, they won't update just one of the iMac models... here's my logic:

The 1.8ghz 17" and 20" use the the same exact hardware internally. The 1.6ghz is physically identical, just clocked lower. (It has to be, it fits inside the same timy cramped space). If they were to make an upgrade it would fit into ANY iMac. Right now they are making 2 seperate system boards, if they upgraded the 20" they would be up to 3, cutting profits per unit.

What I am guessing is that there will be a new high end made, and it will go into the 17" SD and 20" models, with updates to 2ghz or so, and probably something in the GPU (probably just VRAM, knowing Apple). The old 1.8ghz boards will get shuffled down to the low end and 1.6ghz G5 production will stop.

This won't happen 'till AFTER PM updates. Whatever the low end PM is specced at, that's what the high end iMac will get, and abotu 30 days after the PM gets it.

Rob

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
dferigmu said:

i don't think apple's announced the dates yet. did a quick search on apple.com and nothing comes up. probably in july again...

dferigmu said:

i think they've _introduced_ a new high end model without updating the others - the 20" iMac G4 originally introduced that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.