Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebaba07baba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
I installed lots of app. When I checked my purchase list, I saw all of them. I want to reorganize the purchases list. I want to remove some of them but ı cant find any way. please help.......:confused:

yaymath

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't think you can remove them...
Purchase list, as I understand it, is like history, telling you what apps you've purchased. It's not like the apps section in iTunes library. And if you have two computers, you can quickly download all the apps you've purchased to the second Mac after buying the on he first one. That's pretty much the function of the purchase list.

1nteresting

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
I'd like to know this too. What if you downloaded some random game for fun, but you really don't want it any more. Or, what if you installed an app that didn't turn out to be what it advertised, and you don't want it in the list any more. This seems like a feature that was just completely left out. We need to be able to remove items from our purchase list, even if it requires a separate list for our 'history'.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think you can remove or reorganize them, Firstly its like your receipt of purchase but for the mac, not for your financial records. Secondly if apple didn't provide a mechanism to organize them, then you cannot.

Remember, its apple's way or the highway.

iMacBoy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2009
I can't see what harm it's doing there, but i guess it would get filled after a while.

It will come in handy when you get rid of an application and you want it back.

-iMacBoy

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Free purchases should not stay in the list in my opinion. Only paid and what is currently installed out of the free stuff should be on that list for it to make sense in my head. I'm not that fussed over it tbh though.

1nteresting

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
Free purchases should not stay in the list in my opinion. Only paid and what is currently installed out of the free stuff should be on that list for it to make sense in my head. I'm not that fussed over it tbh though.

That's precisely how it should be!

Sausalito

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
actually, the best way to handle it would be the way the Amazone Kindle does... move ones you don't want to see to "archived" status -- then you can always re-download them but don't need to see them all the time... or if you REALLY don't want to ever see them again, you CAN delete them.

tom

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
This is actually a huge problem for me because the list is long and every time I try to see it, I get the beach ball for about half a minute. There are apps there that I know I would never download again so why do I need to wait for them to load?

shaolindave

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2006
so, i'm running OS X Lion now, there's two items of interest in my "purchases" list... one is "xCode", no problems there. The other is "xCode for Snow Leopard", with I can not install and can not delete. It's there forever, just to remind me that I used it once upon a time.

That's not the only thing I want to delete but it's definitely one of the first that needs to go.

Celticfaere

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2004
Florida
Can not remove old Mac App Purchases

Ok so clearly the one of the most annoying things about not being able to remove old "downloads" or purchases is that once you've decided you no longer want that app you can't get rid of it...no big deal if it didn't keep sending you updates and you don't want to updated it because you deleted the app. How do you get rid of these old downloads.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Ok so clearly the one of the most annoying things about not being able to remove old "downloads" or purchases is that once you've decided you no longer want that app you can't get rid of it...no big deal if it didn't keep sending you updates and you don't want to updated it because you deleted the app. How do you get rid of these old downloads.

I don't get any updates for apps I've deleted. Do you get that, or did I misunderstand you?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I don't get any updates for apps I've deleted. Do you get that, or did I misunderstand you?

I'd previously installed VirusBarrier Express. The App Store constantly says there was an update for it. Clicking Update would download and install it and the App Store would still say there was an update (the same update) available. Deleting the app and fully removing it from my system and it still shows that there is an update available for it in the App Store. In the Purchased list it shows that I can install the application (so it does recognize that the application is no longer installed). Deleting the App Store preferences, etc has not worked and it seems to be an issue that a good number of people are having based on posts on the Apple discussion forums.

xizar

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
My "solution" is to just not install things off of the app store. :\

I already got bit by the downloading bug with my iphone... the purchase history for that was crazy... a few hundred free apps that I downloaded just to check out and then deleted right away? ugh.

I've promised myself that's not going to happen with the app store.

Perhaps a second AppleID for acquiring the freeware crap?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I've never understood this. You purchased it, it shows up on the "Purchased" list. Where's the problem? It's not a list of installed programs, it's not costing you space, or money, or anything else. What did you really expect it to be?

jW

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I've never understood this. You purchased it, it shows up on the "Purchased" list. Where's the problem? It's not a list of installed programs, it's not costing you space, or money, or anything else. What did you really expect it to be?

jW

Because I did not "purchase" a free app. Perfect example. I downloaded Sparrow light to test the app to see if I wanted to buy it. I liked it so I bought, meaning purchased the full version, "Sparrow". Now in my list of purchased apps, I have Sparrow "Installed" and Sparrow light right under it. It's annoying. I shouldn't have to see the demo. Perhaps have two tabs, one for purchased and one for downloaded history

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Because I did not "purchase" a free app. Perfect example. I downloaded Sparrow light to test the app to see if I wanted to buy it. I liked it so I bought, meaning purchased the full version, "Sparrow". Now in my list of purchased apps, I have Sparrow "Installed" and Sparrow light right under it. It's annoying. I shouldn't have to see the demo. Perhaps have two tabs, one for purchased and one for downloaded history

That'd be a nice solution. And as others have said, if your list gets very large it can take a bit for the Purchased list to load causing the App Store to beach ball.

tomtel

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Removing Items from Appstore for which your received a $Credit

Along the same lines as the rest of the comments, I am very frustrated by not being able to remove items from the AppStore "Purchased" list when:
1) - you DID NOT purchase an item, but rather tried or started to try an eval copy of a product and then decided you don't want anything to do with it.
2) - You purchased a product (such as Final Cut Pro X) and discovered it NO LONGER meets your needs since modules (DVD PRO) are missing. You receive a credit from Apple, but the product still shows in the "Purchased" queue waiting for you to "Install" - just waiting for you to accidentally install I guess so you can get charged again.
Most frustrating, some of the apps (such as FCP) DO NOT provide an uninstall feature so you can remove from your PC. Deleting the app itself DOES NOT get rid of all the other files.
I wiped my system clean and did a fresh OS install, and FCP still shows waiting to be installed.
THIS makes me NOT purchase anything from the AppStore (other than MAC OS since I have no choice) and purchase ONLY directly from the vendor or not at all.
URG!!!!
TL

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
This is the most annoying aspect of the new iCloud system. I downloaded a ton of free games when I first got my iPhone that now clutter my list of "Purchased" apps, making it almost unusable as a way of restoring/redownloading apps I actually purchased. In my opinion there should at least be an option to filter the list to show only paid apps.

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Fertile, MN
Deleting purchased/free apps.

I did a test on the Mac App store to see if I could remove free and purchased items.

This post is old and there may be another post about this.

When you go to Purchased, you can delete any item off the list.

I'm not 100% sure if this works. I tested it on two separate computers in my home. I logged into the Mac App store to see if the deleted items stayed deleted--looks like it worked!

I found the option applies to the iTunes App Store as well. Click the home button and you will see a Purchased (new) option on the right side. I'll have to test this and see if it shows up on my iOS devices. I find it annoying too since I try apps and find that I don't use or need them anymore.

Hope this helps!

Update:

I ran some tests and 'hid' my purchases.
It looks like the items stay hidden on my iOS devices.

Last edited:

istyna

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
ok - so we can delete - but can we restore the deleted apps from purchased????

So you delete by hitting the little X

What if you accidentally deleted an app from the purchased list - can you get it back there?

leoiimqc

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010

What if you accidentally deleted an app from the purchased list - can you get it back there?

Good point, it happened to me. How can I get a deleted app back onto purchases menu?
Thx

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008

Good point, it happened to me. How can I get a deleted app back onto purchases menu?
Thx

From the start window of the App Store, go to "Account", type your password and hit "View Account" and then hit "View Hidden Purchases" to view them and "Unhide" to unhide them.

----------

It's great that they did something about this issue, but in my opinion, it's just like sweeping dirt under the rug: you do get to get rid of unnecessary apps from your purchase list, but they just add up on the hidden list, and there doesn't seem to be any way to delete them from there. So if I know myself right, that list will get pretty long soon, and if I regret hiding something and want to find it and unhide it, it will probably take a long time to load and it will be hard to navigate it. I would still like an option to permanently remove apps that I know for sure I will never use again. Right now, the hidden list is like a Trash can that cannot be emptied. Accidentally throw something in it and you'll have to dig through a lot of garbage to find it.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Yeah, you can now remove apps from your purchased list on the phone itself, too. Just swipe left on the app and choose "delete."

Very glad they took care of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.