Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
Hi, last year, i bought a Mac Mini on ebay and it came with snow leopard already installed. Its been working great but today, i decided I want to swap the 80gb drive for the old 320gb drive from my laptop (the laptop got a shiny new SSD). Problem is, when i try to boot from the 10.6.2 install disc, it says that snow leopard cannot be installed on this Mac. Any way i can get it to install Snow Leopard on the new drive?
Also, I tried running the installer on the old HDD from inside the old Snow leopard install and it also said that it could not install snow leopard. It then asked me to restart and kept attempting to install Snow leopard and failing.

specs of Mac mini:
-Model Identifier: Macmini1,1
-Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz
-1Gb 667MHz DDR2 RAM
-4 USB ports

for the record, i think the guy i bought it from bought a new mac mini and just included the discs that came with the new one in the one he sold me. The instruction manual shows a mac mini with a mini display port. The only OSX disc i got from him was the snow leopard one.
also, if it matters, this mac mini is the only mac computer that I own.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Hi, last year, i bought a Mac Mini on ebay and it came with snow leopard already installed. Its been working great but today, i decided I want to swap the 80gb drive for the old 320gb drive from my laptop (the laptop got a shiny new SSD). Problem is, when i try to boot from the 10.6.2 install disc, it says that snow leopard cannot be installed on this Mac. Any way i can get it to install Snow Leopard on the new drive?
Also, I tried running the installer on the old HDD from inside the old Snow leopard install and it also said that it could not install snow leopard. It then asked me to restart and kept attempting to install Snow leopard and failing.

specs of Mac mini:
-Model Identifier: Macmini1,1
-Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz
-1Gb 667MHz DDR2 RAM
-4 USB ports

for the record, i think the guy i bought it from bought a new mac mini and just included the discs that came with the new one in the one he sold me. The instruction manual shows a mac mini with a mini display port. The only OSX disc i got from him was the snow leopard one.
also, if it matters, this mac mini is the only mac computer that I own.

Is it a grey disk, or a white one with the Snow Leopard on it? - If its a grey one you need to purchase a white "OS X Snow Leopard" DVD at retail, if its a white one then something strange is going on...

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
Is it a grey disk, or a white one with the Snow Leopard on it? - If its a grey one you need to purchase a white "OS X Snow Leopard" DVD at retail, if its a white one then something strange is going on...

It's a gray disc. Would a normal retail disc work or do i have to get the machine specific discs from apple?

edit: if I bought this, can i use it for a fresh install or just an upgrade? {Link}

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Hi jkelly,
there was NOT a Snow L. when this Mini came out...

This is what the issue seems to be. You said you're trying to use gray install discs, which are the ones bundled with new Macs and are machine specific (meaning they will only work for the particular model Mac that they were originally bundled with). As Snow Leopard was not released until after your Mac was produced, obviously there are no gray install discs with Snow Leopard that are compatible with your computer, meaning you must buy one of the white retail SL discs to be able to install the system.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
for the record, i think the guy i bought it from bought a new mac mini and just included the discs that came with the new one in the one he sold me.

That is your problem, the disks that come with a computer will not work on any other model of computer, so you will have to buy a retail version of Snow Leopard.

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
Ok, thanks for the replies. I guess i'll have to buy a retail SL disk. At least they're not stupidly expensive like Win7 is....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.