Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YoYoMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Well, after 5 months without my own computer, I decided to go Mac, and I am now posting on this forum for the first time with my new 17" Powerbook. I got a refurb model and its working great. No dead pixels as far as I can tell. Thanks to everyone who helped me decide. :D

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
You're going to love your new machine, in fact, I bet you're already loving it. I switched with a 12" Powerbook back in November, and I couldn't be happier. Can't imagine how I put up with Windows for all that time.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
What sort of Windows machines did you have before you switched? And, out of curiosity, are there any things about the Windows machines you miss? I imagine not much, if anything!

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Aaon said:
What sort of Windows machines did you have before you switched? And, out of curiosity, are there any things about the Windows machines you miss? I imagine not much, if anything!

I'm not sure if your question was directed at me, but I'll assume it was since I specifically mentioned using Windows. Anyway, I've been using PCs since 1986 or so (first with DOS, and eventually with every major version of Windows). To be honest the only thing about Windows that I even sort of miss is the wide software compatibility. There are still a few programs I used on Windows that I haven't been able to replace fully on the Mac. They're esoteric things like a Verilog IDE and PSpice (electrical engineering tools), but important to me nonetheless. There are replacements available, just nothing as full-featured and user friendly as what is available on Windows.

As far as the whole Windows experience goes, including the GUI, stability, etc, Mac is better in every single way that I can think of. I don't even mind the one button mouse, although I wish it had a scroll wheel.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
congratulations on the purchase and switch, you will be VERY happy, except for the occasional 'why didnt i do this earlier?' keep up with the forums here, especially if you have any questions, they are either already answered here (USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION) or they will be quickly answered for you!

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
mduser63 said:
There are still a few programs I used on Windows that I haven't been able to replace fully on the Mac. They're esoteric things like a Verilog IDE and PSpice (electrical engineering tools), but important to me nonetheless. There are replacements available, just nothing as full-featured and user friendly as what is available on Windows.

Funny that you mention those things! I am an electrical engineer, and that is one of my concerns. What replacements for PSpice and Verilog software have you found so far? My focus is actually on the semiconductor physics realm of EE for which there is a great program called 1dpoisson available, but I am still looking for a good PSpice replacement/port.

Aaron

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.