Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwilliams07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
i have gt a macbook air and i need to reinstall the os on it, my macbook has no diskdrive so im abit stuck,

i cant log on to the mac or any thing so iv been looking about how to boot my mac from my external hard drive, i have the iso image ready , but need to make my external hd bootable .

nd i dnt no how to burn the iso to my external hd , i no u cant just drag nd drop it in so please help anyone.

Nov 28, 2010
located
PS: This will only help, if you have another Mac.

Do you have one of the new MBAs, one that was released in 10/2010?
If so, you should be able to use the RESTORE USB STICK to reinstall Mac OS X.
If you have an older version of MBA, you can use that .iso image and an external HDD formatted as "Mac OS Extended" (HFS+) and using "GUID Partition Table" as Partition Scheme. You can verify that via Disk Utility.

After verifying or formatting your external HDD correctly, open CarbonCopyCloner, select "Restore From Disk Image" as the source and select that .iso you have and select the proper external HDD as target.
Click the Clone button and off you go.

After the process has finished, restart the Mac via System Preferences > Startup Disk and selecting the external HDD and clicking Restart.

Btw, next time you have a problem and want to use an online message board, please use a descriptive thread title, and proper spelling.

jwilliams07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
i dnt no why i cant log in , it just sez check os , is there any way i can boot from my external HD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.