Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therealverd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Hi Guys,
I am ok with macs in general but am in a bit of new territory here and have a couple of issues that I was hoping you could help me out with.

1. Does my DVI to HDMI support audio? I am able to get the screen to show on my t.v and surf the web but I get no audio. Do I also need an audio cable? Or am I best to switch to a DVI to VGA cable?

2. The video stream from homesharing and safari(hulu) is sooooo slow. Is that because the display settings on my powerbook only supports 60hz and my t.v. (sony 55") uses 240hz? Not sure what refresh rate is all about but it seems intuitively to me like the culprit. If so, is there any way to get my G4 powerbook running os tiger to rachet it up? Does 10.5 give a better display out support?

3. What's the trick to getting clamshell mode to work with a bluetooth keyboard? I first paired the keyboard then closed the computer. I tried to wake it with the bluetooth keyboard, but no dice...What gives?

Thanks to anyone who helps upfront!:confused:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
1. Only the newest MacBook Pros support audio over HDMI. You'll need to get either an optical cable for digital audio or regular mini jack for analog.

2. What do you mean by slow? Is it stuttering?

3. I think you need a BT keyboard and BT mouse. Otherwise get InsomniaX or Caffeine to keep the Mac awake.

therealverd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
1 problem solved!

Ok I think I have an audio cord laying around. Thanks! That solves that mystery.

The audio comes in fine while streaming video but the video moves like 1 frame for every 3000000. Totally clear but extremely choppy. This is not the case with G4 when viewed through the laptop screen. Video is fine there. Do you think it could be the refresh rate settings sent to the Sony tv by the mac?

therealverd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I will try the mouse thing, though my logitech keyboard does have a built in mouse but I am not sure if I tried that!

stev3n

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2010
3. What's the trick to getting clamshell mode to work with a bluetooth keyboard? I first paired the keyboard then closed the computer. I tried to wake it with the bluetooth keyboard, but no dice...What gives?

I know there is an option called "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" which can be found in the System Preferences under Keyboard & Mouse then Bluetooth. I am not sure if this will fix the problem but it's definitely worth trying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.