Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matthew124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Does anyone know if there is a way I can turn data off and run on WiFi, yet still get calls/make calls?

I just want to run WiFi while I'm at home instead of using it all the time for twitter and such. Sorry for a stupid question.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
If you're on wifi the phone will automatically use wifi for the data connection, no need to turn 3G off. But yes, it should be under settings>general>network.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
The iphone automatically switches to wifi if available so you don't need to switch off 3g. Also *I think* that if you have celular data switched off you won't get push notifications when the phone is asleep. There may be an option in settings to switch off 3g. This is available in the uk on all networks except 3 which is a 3g only network so they don't allow you to turn it off

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I'm not sure if the Verizon iPhone has the "Enable 3G" option, but there is a difference between "Enable 3G" and "Cellular Data".

The "Enable 3G" option simply makes the phone use the 2G network. It doesn't stop the phone sending or receiving data.

The "Cellular Data" toggle stops the phone sending or receiving data, but it doesn't turn off 3G. Your phone will still use the 3G network (for calls and SMS) if it provides a strong enough signal.

Notes: Some carriers disable the "Enable 3G" option.
iPhones using the "British English" language option will say "Mobile Data"

Attachments

• IMG_0484.png
    IMG_0484.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0485.png
    IMG_0485.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 170

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I'm not sure if the Verizon iPhone has the "Enable 3G" option, but there is a difference between "Enable 3G" and "Cellular Data".

The "Enable 3G" option simply makes the phone use the 2G network. It doesn't stop the phone sending or receiving data.

The "Cellular Data" toggle stops the phone sending or receiving data, but it doesn't turn off 3G. Your phone will still use the 3G network (for calls and SMS) if it provides a strong enough signal.

Notes: Some carriers disable the "Enable 3G" option.
iPhones using the "British English" language option will say "Mobile Data"
Verizon iPhone uses CDMA2000 not HSPA. The difference between 3G and 2G on CDMA mobile networks is a software upgrade at the base station. No way and no reason to turn it off unless you like suffering through slow data rates, its just one radio CDMA2000 while the other iPhones have GSM + HSPA radio's and HSPA generally takes a whole lot more battery when using data. You can turn the data connection off in network settings but not the 3G connection its self. Trust me its confusing but if you read up on the tech differences of UMTS, CDMA, and GSM its pretty simple.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
i think what your saying is to turn off 3g and use 2g network instead. With AT&T that is possible and i would do that to conserve battery life sometimes but its not possible with the Verizon network. Its all or nothing, but you can have your wifi on and it will automatically switch to it when in range, however it will not save any battery life.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Does anyone know if there is a way I can turn data off and run on WiFi, yet still get calls/make calls?

I just want to run WiFi while I'm at home instead of using it all the time for twitter and such. Sorry for a stupid question.

As others have said, turning on WiFi will automatically switch your data to the WiFi network. No need at all to manually turn off cellular data. No need whatsoever. None. Nada. Zip. Zero.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.