Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Could someone tell me what file type and length works best as a text tone, and how I can go about getting it onto and functioning a jailbroken iphone 4? Thanks!

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Surely there's an easier way/good cydia program...
:confused: If that's too difficult for you, then don't make text tones. The steps aren't that radically different from making a ring tone.

You don't have to use SSH to copy the file into your phone; I use iphone explorer to copy the file.
However, you do have to have some way of converting the sound file into aiff; there's no getting around that.

TheSlimOne

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
I use Unlimitones. Its fairly annoying. Its an interface to Audiko so there are tons of SMS in there and its easy to change them.

dudeabiding

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
biteSMS let's you assign individual (ring)tones to individual contacts. Make your own or use dl'd ones or use ringtones. You can also use ToneFXs to assign all sorts of alert (including text) tones.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
Are there any good threads around here with text message tones? I know how to get them on my phone..but don't have many good ones to use. :D

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
In the upper right hand corner of this page, there is a search field and the button "search forums". I promise it won't bite you too much.
Are there any good threads around here with text message tones? I know how to get them on my phone..but don't have many good ones to use. :D

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Not that it has anything to do with this subject, but I'm getting a little aggravated by lazy people who don't bother to search before asking or do stupid things like install pirate apps and wonder why their jb went bad. For some reason, all the dumb people came out this week.
Eastercat are you having a bad week or something?

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Not that it has anything to do with this subject, but I'm getting a little aggravated by lazy people who don't bother to search before asking or do stupid things like install pirate apps and wonder why their jb went bad. For some reason, all the dumb people came out this week.

New Verizon iPhone = giant influx of new users?

dudeabiding

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeabiding
biteSMS let's you assign individual (ring)tones to individual contacts. Make your own or use dl'd ones or use ringtones. You can also use ToneFXs to assign all sorts of alert (including text) tones.

4.2.1 allows individual text tones to each contact. No hack needed.

Gaaccckkk! Apple tones. I'm talking about custom tones. Each of my assigned contacts says, "I have a text from <their name>" Or you can use a ringtone, or whatever. Not a beep or a boop or a ting or a ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.