Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hey guys, I just signed up for a website through asmallorange.com, paid for their tiny service and bought craigotis.com as a domain name for $10. Now what do I do. :eek:

I know it sounds like an open-ended question, but I need help on just... Doing stuff. How do I edit account settings? How do I upload files? How come craigotis.com doesn't work yet? I'm not new to web design, or FTP servers or anything like that, but I can't seem to find any documentation on how to do anything with my account. I came here to ask because I know that quite a few of you guys use A Small Orange as your hosting service, and I was hoping you could give a beginner a few tips. Thanks! :)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Why not ask them? :confused: No one else is going to know better than the source :)

craigotis.com probably isn't working yet because new registrations will take up to around 48hrs I believe to replicate throughout all the DNS servers around the world ;)

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
edesignuk said:
Why not ask them? :confused: No one else is going to know better than the source :)

craigotis.com probably isn't working yet because new registrations will take up to around 48hrs I believe to replicate throughout all the DNS servers around the world ;)
Ah, yea, probably should have tried that first... I think I'm becoming too dependent on MR :rolleyes:

I just got their confirmation e-mail, and it said that they were going to send a welcome e-mail within 24 hours with instruction on how to access the FTP account and what-not... I apologize for "jumping the gun", if you will :) :eek:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Littleodie914 said:
Ah, yea, probably should have tried that first... I think I'm becoming too dependent on MR :rolleyes:

I just got their confirmation e-mail, and it said that they were going to send a welcome e-mail within 24 hours with instruction on how to access the FTP account and what-not... I apologize for "jumping the gun", if you will :) :eek:
No problem. ASO are really helpful though, anything specific to them you are better asking them about, they always get back to queries quickly. They seem to have a very good and helpful community going in their forums too.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
Try Monday .... You should see your directory structure (default is on). I believe you get a seperate email for your domain name confirmation. BTW their help desk is really awesome. They helped me with the weirdest requests.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Alright, I got the e-mail from them, with the IP addresses, how to get to my FTP space, etc. I don't quite understand what a nameserver is or why when I go to craigotis.com it comes up with the "Index of /" thing instead of my index.html file. Thanks for the help so far! :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Littleodie914 said:
Alright, I got the e-mail from them, with the IP addresses, how to get to my FTP space, etc. I don't quite understand what a nameserver is or why when I go to craigotis.com it comes up with the "Index of /" thing instead of my index.html file. Thanks for the help so far! :)
A nameserver is something that translates, say "craigotis.com" to, say "70.85.79.4". The internet runs off IP addresses, but we human types prefer to use names.

And, as far as your index.html: I don't use ASO (yet), but, with DreamHost, you need to go down to your domain folder - the top-level directory you log into isn't your web domain's top directory. Perhaps ASO is the same way. Maybe your index.html is in the wrong folder.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Ah! I got it. I was putting all my files in the "/" folder, when they actually needed to go into the "/public_html/" directory. Thanks for all your help guys! :D :D :D

Edit: Haha thanks edesign, guess I should refresh the page before posting replies :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.