Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
Hey all,

My charger wasn't charging the battery (the green light would come on for a second or so, and then would disappear). The battery indicator in the top right said "(Not Charging)". This isn't the problem, as it has happened before, and resetting my PRAM (reset, hold ctrl, cmd, p, & r) works. I have to do this about once a month.

Anyway, I did this yesterday, and it solved the charger problem as it always does, but there is a second issue that may or may not be related to what I've done. Finder constantly goes into not responding. I go into force quit... or relaunch... and it does so, works for about 30 seconds, and then goes back into not responding. Any suggestions?

Trevor

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
Some additional problems now. I did a restart and when I did, I got something I've never seen before. The white screen loads with the grey apple logo and the spinning indicator. Below this, there is an ovalized progress bar - similar to that of an iPhone restore progress bar. It remains empty, not filling up to indicate progress. This then disappears, leaving the apple logo and the spinning indicator. It is now stuck on this, and won't go further.

I'm running Snow Leopard on a 2006 blackbook.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This isn't the problem, as it has happened before, and resetting my PRAM (reset, hold ctrl, cmd, p, & r) works. I have to do this about once a month.
PRAM/NVRAM has nothing whatsoever to do with battery, charging or power issues. The fact that it "worked" before is most likely due to the fact that you rebooted. To address power issues, you need to reset the SMC. Instructions in the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
Well, Resetting the pram was a suggestion given to me by a macrumors member about a year ago and seems to be the only way to fix the battery issue. But this thread isn't about that. I only described this because I started to have my finder problems immediately after resetting the pram and wasn't sure if the two were related.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well, Resetting the pram was a suggestion given to me by a macrumors member about a year ago and seems to be the only way to fix the battery issue.
You were given wrong information.
I only described this because I started to have my finder problems immediately after resetting the pram and wasn't sure if the two were related.
They're not related. Use Activity Monitor to see what processes may be consuming system resources. Check the "Page Outs" and "Swap used" under System Memory to see if your RAM is sufficient. If you have a large amount of paging, make sure you have sufficient free drive space available. Also, check to see if Spotlight is indexing. These are just a few things to check.

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
Finder Not Responding - Need to Restore using SL

Hey all,

So my finder is on the frits... It constantly goes into "no responding" and there's nothing I can do to solve this. I've done a time machine backup so everything is backed up. Now, since my finder doesn't work, I can't simply click on the icon on the desktop to launch the install utility. How else can I get this installer up? Can I boot from the Snow Leopard Install Disk, or can I use terminal to get it up? Suggestions?

Trevor

Then someone suggested holding down "c" or "option" when restarting. Then I retorted by linking another forum. In this forum, someone is suggesting that you can only boot from your original install DVD. I have a 2006 Blackbook, so of course my Snow Leopard isn't the original install DVD... will this still work?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2768446&tstart=90

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2010
located
As the SL Upgrade DVD is a full RETAIL DVD, holding down C or OPTION will work too. It will work with any bootable device, except C, which is only working with optical media.
You could just try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.