Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamLikesMusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
My old iPod headphones died, so I began using the ones that came with my iPhone. I've never had a problem with voice control until using them, and I assume it has something to do with the microphone on the headphones. Is there a way to disable the feature? I now can't go 30 seconds of running without my music stopping and the damn voice control screen appearing, which is beyond annoying.

I have a 3gs, if that is of any use.

Thanks

(I tried Google searching as well as locally searching these boards, but couldn't get a clear answer)

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
My old iPod headphones died, so I began using the ones that came with my iPhone. I've never had a problem with voice control until using them, and I assume it has something to do with the microphone on the headphones. Is there a way to disable the feature? I now can't go 30 seconds of running without my music stopping and the damn voice control screen appearing, which is beyond annoying.

I have a 3gs, if that is of any use.
You can turn "Voice Dial" off...

Thanks

(I tried Google searching as well as locally searching these boards, but couldn't get a clear answer)
You can turn "Voice Dial" off...Settings>General>Passcode Lock>Voice dial

AdamLikesMusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
I've done that, but the problem persists. It happens when my phone is locked, too, which I find rather bothersome.

beentomb

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
I tried using the voice control and now it pops up every time I start up my computer. How do i disable it. I know the msconfig thing but I cant figure out what application is suppose to be disabled.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I tried using the voice control and now it pops up every time I start up my computer. How do i disable it. I know the msconfig thing but I cant figure out what application is suppose to be disabled.
What are you talking about?:rolleyes:

AdamLikesMusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Bump. Anybody know if it's possible to disable?

Problem still persists, and now my phone has begun randomly fast-forwarding thanks to apparent voice commands. :mad:

vachargerfan

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Maybe try restoring your phone. If you do that and it still happens then maybe you have a hardware problem

AdamLikesMusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Maybe try restoring your phone. If you do that and it still happens then maybe you have a hardware problem

Restoring to what, though? I'm sure this is a problem I would've always had, but I've only just realized it as I've just begun using headphones that have a microphone on them.

I disabled voice dialing as was mentioned in this thread, however I'm not sure of how to disable voice controls altogether.

AdamLikesMusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
That translates into..."I don't know what is wrong so restore it and then take it to Apple.:D

Well then, I suppose I'll be making a trip to the Apple store this weekend. I just figured I'd see if there was an on/off switch or something for voice controls, rather than make an appointment with them only to find out it was as easy as toggling a setting. Y'dig? ;)

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Are you sure it's not the headphones? It's not likely the microphone in the headphones, but the buttons. Sometimes they short out or something and act like you're pressing the buttons when you're not, that would explain activating the voice controls. Try a different pair.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Well then, I suppose I'll be making a trip to the Apple store this weekend. I just figured I'd see if there was an on/off switch or something for voice controls, rather than make an appointment with them only to find out it was as easy as toggling a setting. Y'dig? ;)
Sure sounds like the problem is with the earbuds and not the phone....If it were me and I was close to an Apple store, I would probably take it there, but if you are closer to BestBuy, it might be cheaper to just buy a new pair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.