Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heljy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
Madison, WI
I am looking for a site that sells this powerbook keyboard protector that kinda tapes down to the laptop permanently. It is different from the iSkin keyboard protector and feels so much more comfortable when typing. I bought it 1 1/2 year ago from a hk/japanese site, but I cant seem to find that site anymore.

That site also carry screen protectors and 'wrist pad' that reduces the heat from the powerbooks.

Anyone knows the site that I am referring to, or at least where I can get the similar keyboard protector?

Pictures of how the keyboard protector and 'wrist pad' look like are below:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~effendy/DSCN4890.JPG
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~effendy/DSCN4891.JPG

Thanks in advance.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004
heljy said:
I am looking for a site that sells this powerbook keyboard protector that kinda tapes down to the laptop permanently. It is different from the iSkin keyboard protector and feels so much more comfortable when typing. I bought it 1 1/2 year ago from a hk/japanese site, but I cant seem to find that site anymore.

That site also carry screen protectors and 'wrist pad' that reduces the heat from the powerbooks.

Anyone knows the site that I am referring to, or at least where I can get the similar keyboard protector?

Pictures of how the keyboard protector and 'wrist pad' look like are below:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~effendy/DSCN4890.JPG
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~effendy/DSCN4891.JPG

Thanks in advance.

They stick to the powerbook permanently? what if you decided that you don't like them anymore? Will you have a sticky residue left over? What do they actually protect from? Dust? water? wear and tear? Sorry if I sound hostile, just curious.. can't seem to type it out in a more friendly manor. I actually would like to get one if it wont ruin the surface of the pb.

heljy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
Madison, WI
dorqiekat said:
They stick to the powerbook permanently? what if you decided that you don't like them anymore? Will you have a sticky residue left over? What do they actually protect from? Dust? water? wear and tear? Sorry if I sound hostile, just curious.. can't seem to type it out in a more friendly manor. I actually would like to get one if it wont ruin the surface of the pb.

Well, I am not sure if they are reusable (hence I am to buy another one since I want to upgrade my hdd) or if they leave behind any residue. But any if there is any sticky residue left, I am pretty sure you can clean it up easily.

They are actually meant to protect dirt/water from going into the keys. It also helps cleaning easier and prevents key marks from going onto the screen (from grease on ur fingers).

Hope that helps. I actually found one site sellin the keyboard protector (http://www.macbay.sg) at a reasonable price. I have went ahead and placed an order for 2 (shipping to the US is only < $3). I will post back to answer those issues you have regarding ruining the surface of the PB.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
I don't want to persuade you one way or another, but I just wanted to say that I have an iSkin which I use 50% of the time, and I have virtually no greasy finger marks on my keyboard after almost a year of owning my PB. I've also never had greasy finger marks transfer from the keyboard to the screen.

Anyway, I'm not knockin' the permanent keyboard protector you seem to like ... I'm just saying, if you get the product and you're not happy with it, the iSkin is a surprisingly good alternative. Another thing to think about might be whether the clear keyboard cover will yellow over time and make the keys hard to read. My iSkin is clear, and it's turned this cloudy clear color, even with regular cleanings. So sometimes in low light, I have to take it off in order to better see the keys. Just something to consider.

heljy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
Madison, WI
dotnina said:
I don't want to persuade you one way or another, but I just wanted to say that I have an iSkin which I use 50% of the time, and I have virtually no greasy finger marks on my keyboard after almost a year of owning my PB. I've also never had greasy finger marks transfer from the keyboard to the screen.

Anyway, I'm not knockin' the permanent keyboard protector you seem to like ... I'm just saying, if you get the product and you're not happy with it, the iSkin is a surprisingly good alternative. Another thing to think about might be whether the clear keyboard cover will yellow over time and make the keys hard to read. My iSkin is clear, and it's turned this cloudy clear color, even with regular cleanings. So sometimes in low light, I have to take it off in order to better see the keys. Just something to consider.

Actually I have used iSkin before, both on a previous iBook and my current pBook. My main complain is that typing on it does not feel as comfortable at least compared to the permanent keyboard protector. I guess there are pros and cons for either one of them. The only thing that is driving me away from iSkin currently is how much less comfortable it is to type on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.