Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

libertysat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I am one of those folks who could not wait any longer for the verizon/iphone and got a moto droid
It once was best phone I ever had

Now I have the V iPhone and it has the top spot now
There are a couple apps on my droid that I use for work that are either banned or expensive enough I don't want to buy again if I don't have to

So I powered up the droid and using it's gps, compass and wifi and not activated on a carrier, the apps work
I can browse via wifi etc
Almost like it is a primitive iPod Touch (with gps and compass added)

My question
Anyone out there have an iPhone 4 or earlier model that is not activated?
Would you check to see if you can use it for everything but calls and 3G?
Curious...

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
I am one of those folks who could not wait any longer for the verizon/iphone and got a moto droid
It once was best phone I ever had

Now I have the V iPhone and it has the top spot now
There are a couple apps on my droid that I use for work that are either banned or expensive enough I don't want to buy again if I don't have to

So I powered up the droid and using it's gps, compass and wifi and not activated on a carrier, the apps work
I can browse via wifi etc
Almost like it is a primitive iPod Touch (with gps and compass added)

My question
Anyone out there have an iPhone 4 or earlier model that is not activated?
Would you check to see if you can use it for everything but calls and 3G?
Curious...

If your question is can you use an unactivated iPhone on wifi than yes, you can use it like a iPod touch... just can't text/call

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I've used both my old 2G and 3G like this( currently rocking the 4), my GF is currently using the 3G on PAYG with AT&T with no problems. Like you said, you (obviously) won't be able to make calls, and while the GPS will work, you won't be able to pull map data down for it. I'm not sure how this would work if you had TomTom or other preloaded apps on the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.